Author Topic: On the Run (Open)  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Maybe Williams

On the Run (Open)
« on: 08/26/13 13:07:59 »
The claxons were still wailing from the crash site in the starport, and smoke could be seen rising out of Landing Platform 47 from the grand entrance to the starport itself, but luckily, the guards stood at the exit had no idea who the responsible party was. Not yet, anyway. And so although the sound of rapidly click clacking heels, and a breathless girl running their way drew their attention, they assumed it was just another fleeing citizen. She dashed past them, in knee high stilettos, tight trousers, a vest top and leather jacket, and seemed to stop, hands on her knees, panting.

"Okay... okay.... this week.... this week.... I start going to the gym..." She promised herself (for about the four hundredth time). Maybe Williams was not having her best day ever. When she'd taken the job, moving starships from landing platform to landing platform, she had assumed it'd be easy. After all, modern ships mostly flew themselves, didn't they? How hard could it be?

As Maybe had found out, it turned out precision manouvering was very hard indeed. And after she had crashed that transport, which apparently wasn't a cheap one, and the security detachment had realised that she may not quite be the experienced pilot she had made out, she had no choice but to run. Which would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that Maybe was cripplingly unfit and slow. It wasn't her fault, she knew. It was just that she hated exercise. You got sweaty and disgusting and frankly she hated the look of any gym clothes, and besides, it was really hard to run in these heels, so that was another reason she was slow, right? They couldn't blame her!

"HEY! STOP!" What was the point? Ah yes, that the guards were just behind her. At that moment, the two guards on the gate turned their attention to her and immediatley advanced.

"Uh... bye!" She smiled breathlessly, and giving them a little wave, darting off in to the crowds again. But she was already exhausted thanks to her general lack of fitness, and the guards were keeping up with her easily. In fact, she was surprised that they hadn't grabbed her. She wondered what they were playing at, until the crowd parted just enough, and a blaster bolt rang out. Fortunately, at that exact moment, she'd stumbled over a dropped shopping bag, and in her heels, lost her balance and stumbled forwards, causing the blaster bolt to fly over her head. She darted around the corner and leant back against the side, where she was panting heavily, hearing the foot steps of the approaching guards.

They were shooting at her!? Okay, so she knew that ship was worth a lot, and she had caused a fair deal of damage, but it was an accident! Didn't they understand that? She unclipped her own blaster from her holster with some difficulty, and held it ready. She had only ever fired it once before, but it came in handy for the look, and besides, how hard could it be? You just pointed and shot right? She leant around the corner to see them aiming, and pulled the trigger first!

Nothing happened. She ducked back around the corner just as blaster bolts flew by, and shook the blaster viciously. She leant it around the corner, and tried again. Still nothing. Wait. Wait. She'd heard about this. The safety. That must be on.
"Safety... Safety...Where is it...?" She mumbled to herself as she fiddled with the blaster, trying to find what to flick, her long false nails making it difficult. She finally found it, and tried to flick it, but got it the wrong way, and with a snap, one of the false nails just broke clean off. "OW! That's just... great!" She complained, hearing footsteps approaching and realising the guards were just going to approach her. Her eyes went wide. She was running out of options. Holstering the blaster again, she looked across the street, spotting one of those seedy starport bars, and ran for it as fast as her exhausted legs could carry her.

She was through the doors just as the guards rounded the corner, and she disappeared in to the crowd, pushing her way to the bar. She smiled to everybody as she passed, bumping in to them as she did so.

"Sorry.... sorry... 'scuse me..." She smiled, making the bar, where she leant on it, panting heavily, hair down her face. "Drink please!" She smiled to the bartender, hoping that now she was sufficently well hidden. It might have worked too, if at that exact moment a heavy hand hadn't clamped down on her skinny shoulder. For a moment, she thought it was one of the starport guards, but to both her relief and dismay, it looked to be one of the bar's bouncers.

"ID." He growled simply.
"....I don't need ID, I'm twenty five!" She protested. He simply gave her a stern look saying that he didn't believe her. "....Uh, I mean, twenty one." She repeated, trying for something mroe convincing. He continued to stare. "Twenty? Nineteen? Eighteen? Would you believe eighteen?" She ventured hopefully. He grabbed her by the scruff of the jacket, and began to haul her out. She tried to fight back, but her boots scraped uselessly on the ground as he carried her out of the bar. The truth was Maybe was only seventeen, but worse still, she didn't realise the legal drinking age on Corellia was twenty one, so she'd just given herself away anyway.

"No! Wait! Don't throw me out!" She protested wildly, knowing the guards would find her any second if he did. "I... I can work! Barmaid! Waitress!" She paused. "Janitor?" She said hopefully. "Anything you need!" The bouncer didn't seem to care, and the door was rapidely approaching....
« Last Edit: 08/26/13 16:29:53 by Maybe Williams »

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
Re: On the Run (Open)
« Reply #1 on: 08/26/13 16:00:23 »
As Maybe was struggling against the much larger bouncer, a pair of dark blue eyes caught sight of the altercation from a distance.  While he was quite certain that the young woman probably thought she was doing a good job at being discrete, she was actually doing pretty terrible before she started rapidly trying to coerce the bouncer not to toss her out into the street.  From his own vantage point near the corner of the large room, he'd watched her move quickly towards the bar as if her very life depended on it.  Add that to the general state of her respiratory cycle, and it wasn't too difficult to determine that she was running and hiding from someone or something.

Officially, Marcello wasn't even on Corellia.  Hell, officially he should have left several days ago, but he took a more liberal interpretation of orders that otherwise, made no sense.  With each passing month, the Jedi Master was convinced that his superiors were simply terrified of facing their enemies.  It was a reality that was already getting a lot of people killed.  On the flip side of that, his brethren seemed to be completely against take any form of 'aggressive' action out of fear that it immediately lead to becoming a Sith.  The dangers of losing yourself existed no matter what you did.  The strong would prevail and hold true to what they believed.  Whether Jedi or Sith, that remained very much a fact.

With an audible exhale, Marcello stood from his seat and made his way in the direction of the struggling child.  Wearing a conservative long-sleeved shirt and pants, the Jedi Master did not much look the part of a Jedi.  In fact, aside from his height and build, he appeared little more than your typical cantina denizen with long hair.  When he'd intercepted the bouncer and young woman, Marcello managed a warm smile as he firmly grasped the other man's arm.  "It's my baby sister.  I'll take it from here.  Sorry, she can be a pain in the ass."  Briefly, Marcello flashed the girl a knowing glance as he spoke directly into her mind.  ~Just play along and come with me unless you want to rot in a prison.~

She could worry if maybe he was just some creep, but he could guarantee there would be worse where she was nearly headed.
« Last Edit: 08/26/13 16:11:24 by Marcello »
Justice is Cold by Nature

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #2 on: 08/26/13 16:20:36 »
Maybe thought that it was about to all end for her as she approached the door when from nowhere, a long haired blonde man approached, and seemed to offer her a way out. The truth was, even without him speaking in to her mind, she'd be more than happy to run along with it. Whatever he wanted, it was better than getting shot, but when she heard the words echo in her mind, she looked at him for a moment, dazed and confused. She couldn't quite believe what had just happened, and had a thousand questions, but right now she had to run along with it.

Luckily, she was good at lying her way out of situations.
"I am not a baby anymore!" She insisted to the stranger, pulling her sleeve free from the bouncer as he released her to her 'brother', the petulant little sister insisting that she was more grown up than she really was. The perfect act, she thought. "And I wasn't being a pain in the ass! I just wanted a drink! Gawd, you can be so overbearing sometimes! I'm gonna tell Mom and Dad!" She insisted as she followed him, making a face at him like she was spoiling for a family argument until they were safely out of ear shot of the bouncer, where she could finally get a little of her breath back.

"Thanks." She breathed in a whisper. "I'm Maybe..." She introduced herself, wondering what he wanted. He was quite hot, she decided, in a sort of shaggy, hairy way, and well, although any signs of flirtation here would look odd, since she was claiming he was her brother, why not give it a go?
« Last Edit: 08/26/13 17:45:01 by Maybe Williams »

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #3 on: 08/26/13 17:48:28 »
As he certainly would have done had Maybe actually been his sister, Marcello offered the girl little more than a roll of his eyes as he guided her away from the 'spotlight'.  In truth, it would not be the wisest of decisions to linger here very long.  While the Jedi did not quite know exactly what Maybe was into, he knew that if it was causing her to run into a cantina...people would check eventually.  If she was trying to flee the government, well...she'd have quite a time getting across town let alone off the planet.

Once they were seated, the Jedi offered her a subtle nod of the head, somewhat taken back by her forthright nature with a complete stranger.  In a soft but deep voice, he all but ignored the pleasantry.  "Marcello.  Why are you running?"  It was an abrupt shift in conversation, but the large Jedi motioned to the girl's matted hair and the sweat glistening on her brow to explain his comment.

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #4 on: 08/26/13 17:58:50 »
Maybe's hands subconsciously flew to her hair, and she dug in her pocket to pull out a compact mirror and look at herself. Her heart sank when she saw the sweating, matted mess looking back at her. So much for her dreams of impressing the blond stranger. She looked a total mess! She sighed, her shoulders sagging, and she realised that she was still a little short of breath.

She really was unfit. She was lucky she hadn't had to run any further, she realised. She looked back at him, pushing her hair back in an effort to keep it neat and look better, and realised as she did so she had exposed her hand with the snapped fingernail, four long crimson fingernails and one blatantly missing didn't really help. She officially looked a total disaster. She sighed. So much for any kind of flirting or impressing him.

"Would you believe there was an accident?" She asked with a hopeful, innocent look. Lies had flickered across her thoughts, but it seemed hopeless, so she decided to just tell him the truth. She was still the innocent party, after all, right? "I took a job moving starships over in the starport, okay? I needed the credits, and well, maybe I, uh, I exagerrated my piloting experience... just a little.... to get the job, and uh, well, there was a bit of a crash. And well, I think the ship belonged to somebody expensive because they were quite annoyed..." There was an obvious hint that Maybe was slightly under stating matters here. "And I think I caused quite a lot of damage to the starport on top of that... so uh.... they wanted to.... uh, speak to me about it I guess.... So I thought it might be best to leave..." She found herself explaining. "But then they started shooting at me! If they find me, I think they'll just shoot me! I need to get out of here!" She told him, suddenly more passionately. "I have this thing!" She presented him with her blaster, to try and demonstrate that she'd tried to defend herself. "But I can't get the thing to work!" The safety was still firmly, and obviously, on. "I tried, but I just ended up breaking a nail!" She held up her hand in frustration to demonstrate the lack of said nail.

Unfortunately, Maybe showed absolutely no hints of having any awareness at all of the total failure or complete disaster she was making herself out to be.
"Besides, if you think about it, it's not even my fault! It's not my fault they haven't got decent staff background checks!" Maybe added quickly and defensively, in case Marcello sided with them over the incident.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #5 on: 08/27/13 17:57:32 »
Marcello allowed a thin smile to crack through the otherwise stoic appearance of his typical veneer as the girl fussed over her appearance and rocketed through an explanation of her 'situation'.  When Maybe had finished, the Jedi casually moved several strands of hair from in front of his eyes.  His expression gradually began to return to normal as he prepared to reply to Maybe.  "As I was not there, I suppose I would have no other choice than to believe you.  It never occurred to you that they might be shooting at you because you were running away from what was, in effect, the scene of a crime when told to stop?"

Snatching the weapon from the girl's hand with relative ease, Marcello set it beside him in the booth.  "Three things.  First, you don't need to run, I can handle the authorities on your behalf."  Corellia, after all, was governed by The Republic.  He had enough juice to at least deal with the damage and ensure the relevant parties were reimbursed.  It was quite a simple thing to claim Maybe was one of his operatives, and it wasn't something that anyone other than the most influential of people would be able to check.  And...they wouldn't actually care.  "Secondly, don't carry weapons you clearly have no idea how to use.  Third, you're young, take advantage of it.  If you took the time to actually learn a skill, you might find yourself much happier and much safer."

After stealing a quick glance around the cantina, Marcello came to his feet and motioned for Maybe to follow him.  "We need to get out of here.  Keep up the family charade, you'll be fine.  I highly doubt anyone from the government is going to question me."  The Jedi Master left the reasoning behind that fact to Maybe's imagination.  In a matter of moments, they would be exiting the cantina like normal people and making their way towards his personal speeder.

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #6 on: 08/27/13 18:08:27 »
Okay, well, things were going well, possibly. He seemed to believe her, which was good as far as Maybe was concerned, because she was telling the truth. Her version of the truth, yes, but the truth. She listened to his list of things, and the first took most of her interest. He could get her out of trouble? Well, on that side, she was glad. But his second, criticising her blaster, annoyed her. How was she meant to hunt bounties or be a mercenary or a bodyguard or whatever other job she needed to take if she didn't have a gun?

So as he got up ready to leave, she grabbed it and put it back in its holster, following along behind him.

"I know how to use it! I mean, how hard can it be? You just point and shoot! If I could just work out how to get the darn safety off!" She hissed as she followed him in half a whisper. "And I don't have time to learn a single skill! I mean, I have rent to pay, you know? And besides, I'm no good at learning. It's boring and I just flunk out anyway. It's easier to just work it out as you do it." This was Maybe's general philosphy to life, her general lack of patience and apptitude for, well, anything barring fussing over her appearance meant that she failed anything she tried to do. She was much happier with her current lifestyle.

"Still... thanks." She added, with a slightly more gentle smile, not wanting to offend her only help. But now they were approaching the exit, so she decided to continue his little ruse, not saying anymore, and not wanting him to do anything annoying, like try to take her blaster away again. "Mom said I was allowed a blaster! I'm seventeen for Force's sake!" She complained in her best whiny teenager voice as she followed him out, knowing that the bouncer would have at least seen their interaction if not heard it, so discussing the weapon made it sound more realistic.

And insured that she was allowed to keep it.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #7 on: 08/27/13 22:20:39 »
If Marcello had meant for the girl to have the blaster, he would not have left it on the seat of the booth.  However, the Jedi managed to temper his reaction until they'd exited the cantina and the gaze of onlookers.  He had already invited far too much attention upon himself for the sake of this girl.  Silence lingered in the large Jedi's wake until they were at least several hundred meters away from the cantina.

As he was preparing to finally address the girl, Marcello spotted a patrol approaching them rather quickly.  A sideways glance to Maybe was all the assurance he offered her that things would be fine.

The four uniformed CorSec officers came to a halt a few meters ahead of Marcello and Maybe.  "Citizen, halt.  Do you know this girl?"

Marcello's emotions remained surprisingly even as he stared blankly at the armed officers.  "Younger sister and, more importantly, an associate of mine.  Is there something I can do for you?"

"You can follow us.  The girl is wanted in connection with destruction of personal property, government property, and attempting to escape arrest by flight."

Marcello smiled thinly at the officers.  "What destruction?"

"The spaceport.  I do not have time to lay it all out for you citizen.  Your compliance is all that is required."

"I think your superiors would take a different view on that."

By this point, the officers had moved to surround them as if they were prepared to apprehend both humans by force.  "Sir, by order of the Governor, you're under arrest.  Please move over to that wall and raise your hands."

Marcello shook his head mostly out of exasperation.  Why had he gotten himself involved in this?  "You're making a mistake, gentlemen."

"You have five seconds to comply."

"You have three seconds to walk away."

The officers exchanged brief, curious glances before one lunged in behind Marcello to attempt to catch him by surprise.

However, the attempt was all too futile as the Jedi Master saw the action before it ever happened.  With a grace and deft precision that was surprising for his size, Marcello dipped down low and to this right, catching the lunging officer with an elbow directly to the groin.  Immediately, Marcello sprung from his knees and connected his fist with the bottom of the man's jaw.

As the officer doubled over and fell to the ground, unconscious, the other officer's stood in shock.

Marcello stood back to his complete height, returning to a completely neutral posture.  Fixing the lead officer with his steely, dark blue gaze, the Jedi Master spoke in the same even tone.  "I apologize for that.  Your man did attack first before I really had the opportunity to comply, however.  I do hope it is not a habit for you and others like you to resort to violence so quickly.  I'm quite certain that is definitively against your mandate.  We pose no threat."

The officer motioned to the weapon still on Maybe's person.

Marcello's eyes tracked the man's movement before fixing Maybe with an annoyed expression.  ~Doing you a lot of good right now, isn't it?~  Shifting his gaze back to the officer, Marcello nodded his head.  "Yes.  A teenager with a safed, stowed weapon.  Quite the threat.  Alpha-Gamma-One-Three-Epsilon."

"What?"

"It's an access code.  Verify it."

The officer gave the large man before him a skeptical look for several moments before reluctantly withdrawing a datapad and tapping in the code.  There were a few brief moments of silence before realization swept across his features.  "Lower your weapons!"  The other officers followed the command as the lead officer stepped forward and gave a polite half bow.  "My apologies, Master Matteo.  We had not been informed you were in the area."

"I don't imagine you think I routinely announce my travel...anywhere."

"Of course not, Master Jedi.  It's just...  Well, she did cause a great deal of damage, sir."

"Have the grievance for reimbursement dispatched to the High Council.  Now if you don't mind, we do have business to address for the Order."  Maybe was not officially a member of the Jedi Order, but that didn't matter.  Besides, they did in fact have many members that were not, in fact, Jedi.  What mattered was that members of the Jedi Order could not be prosecuted for crimes without consent from the High Council.  It was...well...an interesting arrangement.

"Yes, of course Master Matteo.  My sincerest apologies again."

Marcello nodded to the man before motioning for Maybe to continue following him.  Within a matter of minutes, they were out of earshot from the men.  "Give me that thing.  You can have it back when we're clear of this area."  They arrived at his speeder as soon as he'd finished speaking.  Marcello quickly jumped into the driver seat and fired up the engine.  In a moment - they were rocketing off into the skylanes of Coronet.
« Last Edit: 08/27/13 22:31:47 by Marcello »

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #8 on: 08/28/13 14:04:36 »
Maybe took a careful and strategic step behind Marcello as the CorSec guards approached, doing her best to affect terrified innocence while he addressed them. She jsut hoped that reassuring glance he'd given her really did mean he knew what he was doing, because while she wanted to fumble for her blaster, she had it in a strapped down leg holster, and by the time she got that open and the blaster out with her long false nails slowing her down she'd be shot for sure (and that was if she could figure out how to take the safety off). So she had to once again rely on the blond stranger.

When the guard attacked though, she actually screamed in surprise, jumping back a little, because, well, Maybe might like to act tough with her blaster and the fact that she would quite happily take any job, including combat oriented ones, but truthfully she was an incompetent seventeen year old high school drop out still, and the sudden violence made her react naturally. She did, at least, have the decency to look a little embarrassed afterwards, and she was beginning to wonder just who she had fallen in with and whether or not he was going to get her in to more trouble.

But then the big reveal came. With the echoing words in her head again scolding her for the blaster, and the code revelation, it finally clicked in Maybe's mind. He was a Jedi! Well that explained the apparent authority and mental abilities, but now Maybe was even more confused. Not confused enough to say anything in front of the guards, but as soon as they had left, she trotted along behind him, burning with questions.

Firstly though, she had to hand over her blaster, which she did with a sigh, making a bit of a scene of getting it out of the holster successfully which showed just how woefully ill prepared she really was.
"I want it back though!" She insisted as she climbed in to the speeder. She needed that blaster, and certainly couldn't afford another one! "So... you're a Jedi?" She asked, as the speeder pulled away. "Um, not that I don't appreciate it, but why are you helping me? I thought you guys stood for law and justice and all that stuff. Not that it totally wasn't an accident or anything!" She added quickly and hurriedly. "But uh, I still would of thought you'd be getting me in trouble, not bailing me out..." She pointed out.

"Thanks for that by the way. Isn't that going to cost your Council loads?" She asked, slightly concerned about what she was getting herself in to.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #9 on: 08/28/13 17:18:33 »
Marcello did not bother responding to her demand of receiving the weapon back.  He had every intention of returning her property, of course.  However, he only intended to do so after she'd learned to effectively use it.  "You can have it back when you're less dangerous to yourself with it."

As the speeder pulled away, the Jedi listened to the young girl seated beside him.  Offering a brief laugh, Marcello shook his head.  "You being shot is not quite an adequate punishment.  Besides, it is imperative that we educate first.  I doubt you even being placed in jail for a while would have really taught you much."  Pausing briefly, Marcello glanced at Maybe.  "You kids don't tend to listen these days anyways."

Turning the speeder abruptly to the right to arc them out away from the city and towards the small Jedi Enclave on Corellia, Marcello continued.  "It is probably going to cost us, yes.  However, you are going to pay for it, in the end.  Perhaps not with money, but I'm sure the Council will have a...task or two for you."  There was little reason for Marcello to illustrate that he was a member of the Jedi Council himself.  Likewise, he did not bother confirming or denying her assertion that he was a Jedi.  It was pretty obvious at this point.

Within a matter of twenty to twenty-five minutes, they were arriving at the Enclave.  Once the speeder was secure inside one of the numerous hangars, Marcello exited the driver's seat and motioned for Maybe to follow.  Around them, Jedi in official Jedi Robes moved about on various tasks.  They were mixed with a number of non-Jedi that served in the support functions of the Order.  "The Council is waiting."

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #10 on: 08/28/13 17:38:14 »
"Less dangerous? I can't even fire it!" Maybe complained, but she knew that it was futile. She didn't really have much choice, and as the speeder took them through the city and out of it, she was beginning to get a sinking feeling. "I'm not a kid!" She protested, because, well, she really didn't feel like one. She had been thrown out of her parents aged fifteen. Surely by now she counted as an adult?

She looked at the Jedi again, considering the situation. Okay, so she hadn't been shot, but the man she had assumed to be her rescuer didn't really seem to be the type at all. Instead, he seemed to be taking her to another punishment. She gulped uneasily as the speeder touched down, and although she climbed from the speeder, she tried shooting him her prettiest, most innocent smile.
"They won't want to do anything with me, will they?" She tried saying sweetly. "C'mon! Look at me! I'm too cute to punish, right?" She tried, attempting a flirtatious smile and a little flutter of her eyelids, which were at least still heavy with make-up, even if her matted hair somewhat ruined the effect.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #11 on: 08/28/13 22:43:41 »
Marcello ignored the girl's continuous spats and protests about her weapon or not being a kid.  The fact that she was a child was not even remotely up for debate.  As they exited the hangar and stepped onto the thick carpet of the Enclave's interior, Marcello flashed Maybe a thin smile.  "They don't tend to look favorably upon those that upset the natural order, Maybe."  Marcello shrugged his shoulders as he guided Maybe to a lift. 

Once they were inside the lift, Marcello depressed the button that would take them up to the High Council chambers.  When the lift came to a halt, Marcello stepped out first and escorted the young girl passed the stoic, heavily armed guards to the largely ornate doors that lead to the Council's chambers.  Pausing outside, the Jedi turned to the young girl.  "Wait here until you are summoned.  I need to quickly brief the Council."

Without waiting for a response, Marcello palmed open the door and stepped inside.  Maybe would have caught sight of a number of the Council members either present or viewing via holocom.  The doors quickly sealed behind Marcello and Maybe was left alone in the corridor with little more than her thoughts and the guards. 

It was another five minutes before the doors slid open once more and young Twi'lek Jedi Master, the newest member of the Council, beckoned Maybe in with a gentle smile.  "Come, child.  The Council is ready to receive you."

If Maybe took in the scene, she would note that Marcello was seated in what was nominally the center of the semi-circle directly beside a human female.  The female Jedi Master wore a gentle smile, Marcello's own expression was blank as usual.  "Welcome, young lady.  I've been told that you've had a very active day."  The woman motioned to Marcello briefly.  "Master Matteo was just...regaling us with your exploits.  I'm sure you surmised that he's not the warmest of individuals."

The comment earned the Grand Master little more than a slightly irritated glance from Marcello.

The woman's smile only broadened.  "So it speaks to your character that he has brought you before us instead of turning you over to Republic authorities.  You created quite a mess, and it's going to cost this Order quite a bit to make the necessary reparations for damages caused."  The woman paused for only the briefest of moments.  "Money is immaterial, however.  It would appear that you are somewhat without direction and a bit of...technical training.  Where do you live, Maybe?"

The look from Marcello while typically neutral was, in fact, one of comfort.  He gave a small nod of his head, indicating that Maybe had nothing to worry about and should be as honest as possible.

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #12 on: 08/29/13 03:21:42 »
Maybe gawked through the door as Marcello entered, seeing the entire Jedi Council assembled waiting for her. This was worse than getting shot at, surely? She looked around for somewhere to go, but there didn't seem to be any options, and just the two gigantic (at least, compared to her) and stoic guards looming beside her. She gave them a little wave.
"Hiya. I'm Maybe." She smiled.

No response. So much for that...

Five minutes passed, and Maybe was called in, and when she entered, it was obvious that she had at least found one practical use for her time. Her hair was in much better order than before, her face was clean and freshly made-up, and she had the smell of fresh (if cheap) perfume about her to cover up her little bout of running. She was at least, a lot more presentable, in a sort of girly, seventeen year old way, than she had been previously. Of course, she'd only made the effort not out of any formality, but to try and impress Marcello, who she still thought was cute, and win any critics over to her cause.

She looked at the floor, at least with the common sense to feel guilty, when they pointed out just how much her 'exploits' would cost them. The question slightly surprised her though. While Maybe might have found them slightly patronising if she'd been smart enough to recognise the tone,  here she just found their curiosity interesting. What did it matter where she lived?

"Uh, in this tiny apartment block on the outskirts of Coronet, called 'Sunset Paradise', by the hover rail tracks... your... um....Jediness?" She answered, obviously with no idea what the appropriate term of address for the Jedi Council was. It was obvious from the name, and of course the location, that this was one of the seriously scummy, run down apartments that littered the outside of so many capital cities, little more than a room and a bed. It was all Maybe could afford, and even then, she was overdue on her rent almost every single month.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #13 on: 08/29/13 17:47:26 »
The Jedi Grandmaster merely smiled at Maybe's response.  There was little reason to correct the girl on silly matters of protocol.  She was, after all, a complete outsider.  It would seem though...that it was the perfect opportunity for her to torment her fellow Jedi Master and nominal Master of the Order.  "Well that simply will not do.  We can offer you temporary asylum here.  You wouldn't be a prisoner, but it's obviously best if you stick close to a member of our Order until we've smoothed things over with the Republic and any private citizens."  Without really waiting for a response, she glanced briefly between Marcello and Maybe.  "I presume you would prefer to be in the care of Master Matteo?  He's quite an excellent firearms instructor and much less threatening than he often pretends.  No reason for you not to take advantage of working with the Support Corps while this thing blows over."

Marcello didn't flinch in the slightest, though he did communicate his moderate displeasure silently to his friend and former teacher.  In the end, he knew it was the best deal Maybe could be offered.  A small amount of time working with the Jedi Order was much worse than anything the Republic no doubt would have subjected her to.  Especially seeing as she...had no real money.

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #14 on: 08/29/13 17:55:47 »
Maybe blinked for a moment, confused and surprised by the offer. They were offering her a place to stay? And a job? Was she going to get paid? Or did she work just for the accommodation? Well, that was nice and all, but how was she meant to buy everything she wanted (often the reason she was so broke)? But how could she really say no? They were Jedi! And besides, it had to be nicer than her apartment right? And she was a week overdue on the rent...

"Um, thank you!" She smiled, trying to sound enthusiastic. At least she got to be 'looked after' by the hot blond Jedi, even if that did mean subjecting herself to something that sounded an awful lot like some kind of youth help scheme. "So, if I work for the Support Corps, do I get paid?" She asked with an optimistic smile. If not, she could continue to find work elsewhere, after all, that was what she was good at.

Finding work, that was. Not necessarily doing said work. And having the protection of the Jedi had to be better than nothing! She couldn't really refuse, not for the time being. Although she did have questions. She presumed she'd have to find another flat again after this, since she'd used the word temporary. And how was she going to collect all of her things?

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #15 on: 08/29/13 18:07:49 »
The Grandmaster smiled at Maybe for a moment but did not respond.  Instead, she leaned over to whisper something into Marcello's ear.

Marcello's dark blue eyes shifted from Maybe, to the Grandmaster, and back to Maybe before he leaned back and gave a subtle nod of his head.  "No need to thank us.  You can rest assured you have long days ahead of you.  Please step outside for a moment.  I'll be along in a couple of minutes."  Everyone in the room had felt it, tasted it.  The question was...could Maybe handle the truth and all of the harsh realities that followed from that one truth?  For the time being, she seemed far too erratic and without a sound concept of what was and was not right.  Given her age, it would be a hard barrier to break through.  Once she departed the room, the Council would discuss the very matter.

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #16 on: 08/30/13 15:46:34 »
Long days? That didn't sound so good. Maybe liked an easy life. That was part of the reason she was so terrible at everything. She was lazy. But still, a free place was a free place, even though they didn't answer  her question about pay. Still, she got told to go and wait outside, so that was what she did, obediently heading outside and waiting outside the door.

She paused for a moment, and then pressed her ear against it, trying to hear inside, but after a scowl from the guard, gave up, and sulkily went to wait against the wall, arms folded moodily.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #17 on: 08/30/13 16:11:36 »
Marcello exited the chambers no more than a few minutes after Maybe had departed.  As he walked towards the lift, he motioned for her to follow him.  "You will have time to return to your apartment to gather your things a little later today.  First, we have to make sure we get you setup here with everything you will require."  Once the doors to the lift closed, Marcello depressed the button for the second floor.  The majority of the Support Corps' offices were located there.

Turning to face Maybe slightly, Marcello managed a subtle smile.  "Don't worry.  Members of the Support Corps are indeed paid a salary unlike the Jedi that are part of the Order.  Though...that's not to say they aren't well compensated."  As a matter of fact, the Jedi never paid for anything because the Republic picked up the tab on all of their needs - which weren't many anyways.

When the lift came to a stop, Marcello stepped off and guided Maybe a couple hundred meters down the corridor until they arrived at a large suite of offices.  Turning, he motioned for her to head inside.  "Master Besselman should be the office on the right at the very end of the hall.  He'll get you taken care of.  I'll be waiting out here when you are done."

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #18 on: 08/30/13 16:20:16 »
Well, that answered her first concern. This meant that Maybe finally had a job! Although she had no expectations about keeping said job. That never really seemed to happen for her. So, she had a salary, and could collect her own things. Things actually were looking up for her for once. Except, she still had to wonder about what was actually going on.

And so, she stepped ut of the lift and went to head inside, when she paused, turning, a little nervous obviously, fidgeting, holding her palm in her other hand.
"...Um... why are you doing this?" She asked, curiously. "I.... don't get it. I mean, I messed up and caused a big scene, and I'm.... I'm not exactly good at anything. Why are you all helping me so much?" She questioned, confused. Was it just some youth assistance scheme? That stung her pride a little, since she liked to think of herself as an adult, but she had to ask.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #19 on: 08/30/13 16:26:58 »
Marcello shrugged his shoulders slightly.  "Don't look at me, my vote was to turn you over to the Republic for trial and sentencing."  He allowed the statement to hang in the air for only a moment or two before eventually cracking a smile.  "We do what we can to help anyone in need within the confines of our authority.  However, you possess talents that you haven't even begun to unlock.  In time you will come to understand.  For now, don't keep Master Besselman waiting."  The Jedi placed the hand on the small of Maybe's back and gave her a gentle nudge through the doorway.

At the end of the hall, a Kiffu Jedi Master exited his office and spotted Maybe in front of Marcello.  Smirking slightly, he motioned for Maybe to approach.  "Come child - who knows how much time I have left."  Shifting his gaze to Marcello, the Kiffu nodded his head slightly.  "Master Matteo."

Marcello returned the nod before glancing at Maybe.  "Have fun at school baby sis'."  The large Jedi added a playful wink before turning to retreat down the hall to another series of rooms.