Author Topic: Stalking Shadows (Betna, Jarr)[Complete]  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
Stalking Shadows (Betna, Jarr)[Complete]
« on: 01/26/13 16:34:02 »
Corellia.  It had been some time since the pale-skinned woman had set foot on the world she now found herself on, though each visit ended in satisfaction as far as she was concerned.  So far, at any rate.  On this trip, however, there was a difference that seemed to hang in the air as the lone wanderer made her way from one of Coronet City's smaller spaceports towards her current destination - a salvage yard she had known about almost her entire life.  Normally, she would have gone to a similar location on Coruscant, but with the events of recent years . . . her property and home on Coruscant were little more then memories of happier times.  Memories of the past.  Her business had dried up quickly enough, and she hadn't heard from her companion in some time either . . . leaving her to her own devices.  As well, the stopover on Corellia had been unforeseen, unplanned, but when your hyperdrive springs a leak . . . all that can be done is to set down at the nearest planet and repair it.

So she found herself on Corellia, though she had left Raziel to keep an eye on her ship as she ventured out into the night, slipping into the shadows and darkness as easily as ever, clad in her customary thick reinforced leather armor, and armed only with her lightsaber.  Jennica had just turned a corner, when a whisper of sound grabbed at her attention, causing her gleaming silver eyes to narrow perceptibly as she went utterly still and silent, even as the hard, solid surface of the wall pressed against her back.  While waiting to discern the origin of the sound, however, she reached out with the Force to summon a black-colored cloud of fog that blended perfectly with the night and hid her from sight as well.
« Last Edit: 02/09/13 17:32:02 by Jennica Sorsten »

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #1 on: 01/28/13 17:46:06 »
Betna slowly walked down the allyway, his footsteps slow and purposeful. He'd followed a woman down this alleyway believing her to be his mark. A mark that was worth a great deal to whoever issued the bounty.

The bounty hunter had been informed by one of his contacts that a high level mark had been seen on Corellia recently and that the bounty was still in effect for that individual. Unfortunately, the mark was one that tended to disappear mysteriously and for long periods of time. As such, Betna wasn't too hopeful on finding her, but figured that since he was, by chance, already on Corellia that he'd look into it. Turned out that by sheer luck, he'd almost literally bumped into her while browsing the shipyards looking for parts and upgrades for his Pathfinder. Out of curiosity first, then, after recognizing her when he pulled up her image on his HUD, for the bounty itself, he began tracking her. Now, a few days later, he believed he had her cornered.

Betna took a few more steps and stopped, panning his gaze back and forth across the alley. Seeing nothing through his visor, he switched through the various scopes in his HUD, continuing the search. Though he figured she could probably see or sense him, he said nothing and simply rested his hand on the worn grip of his sidearm and flicked the safety off, leaving the weapon ready to draw and fire should she try to ambush him.

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #2 on: 01/29/13 19:54:46 »
By the time that the man appeared in the mouth of the alley, Jennica's vision had shifted from the normal spectrum over to infrared, allowing her to see a bit more easily the fact that the man was wearing armor of some sort.  She'd also taken the opportunity to attach herself to the wall with the Force, some twenty-odd feet above the ground, and simply watched him as she continued inching and slipping her way upwards towards the roof - the hybrid had no doubt that despite her unusual skill at stealth and evasion, the man had a way to counteract, and likely even nullify any advantages her skills gave her.  Which made her glad she'd brought her lightsaber.  Drawing the Force to her, she amplified the potency of the air in her lungs, enabling her to go longer without breathing, and be less easily detected that way.

Continuing to creep upwards, the black-haired woman turned the Force to another purpose after a few more moments.  This time, however, she had to balance her energies, as she was using it for two other tasks at the same time.  It was tricky, but after a few minutes, she managed to dissipate all but a trace amount of body heat - just enough to keep herself at the line between shivering uncontrollably and having enough focus to spare as her upward climb progressed oh-so-slowly.  Whether or not she'd dumped enough heat to keep the man from detecting her location, however . . . remained to be seen.

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #3 on: 01/30/13 05:03:43 »

Suddenly, Betna froze, his gaze lingering on a form in his thermal imager. He slowly walked up to it and gazed at vaguely humanoid blob. It seems that someone hid up against the wall here. Recently, too. I didn't see them on my other imagers, which means cloaking of some kind. Hrmmm...

He took a step back and looked up and down the alleyway before glancing upwards. He did see a slightly warmer blob above him, but wasn't sure what to make of it. It was almost the same temperature as its surroundings, just slightly warmer. He also spotted a few small, warm spots leading up that could have been made from hands and feet, but if that was someone hiding there, they'd literally have to either be hanging from climbing gear or hovering with a repulsor pack. Not sure what to make of it, he decided to go out on a limb. It might make him look like a di'kut, but it might pan out. Who knew. He looked upwards at the faint blob and drew in a breath.

"I can see you," he stated flatly, hoping he was right.

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #4 on: 01/30/13 05:54:24 »
A thin smile was Jennica's only reaction as she kept her gaze riveted on the man, even as her upward progress continued unabated, though she heard his words just fine.  Pausing in her climb, she went utterly motionless long enough to aim a telepathic reply in his direction.  "So you can see me, and I can see you.  I know you're wearing armor of some sort, though it's been years since I've seen a Mandalorian, so I can surmise you're armed simply from your culture's reputation as warriors.  Most of your kin are, and to the teeth.  The fact that you're standing here also tells me you're chasing the price on my head."  There was a pause, as if she was cocking her head to one side, though she wasn't.  "I've been well aware of the bounty for some time now - it wasn't hard to learn about, given who and what I am."  Another pause.  "The question becomes, however, do you know exactly who and what you're chasing?"  Then, silence, as she let the man consider what she'd said.

The cessation of telepathic contact with the man was her chance to resume her extremely slow upward journey, though she was prepared to fall back on more active methods of escape and evasion, if it came to it.  Or a fight, with or without her lightsaber, for that matter.  Even if resorting to combat wasn't her first choice.
« Last Edit: 01/30/13 06:01:27 by Jennica Sorsten »

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #5 on: 01/30/13 06:57:33 »
"Ni kar'taylir megin ni oya'karir, Dar'jetii," he said simply as he looked up at the slowly moving blob faintly glowing on his HUD. "Olaror daab olar bal mhi liser jorrhaa'ir, eh?"

He didn't fully expect her to come along quietly, but if he could get her off that wall without shooting her, he could at least keep her from easily escaping. The bounty was worth more if she was alive, but whoever had issued the bounty in the first place had no qualms about bringing in a body. Having said that, the bounty was halved for a dead mark. He'd do what he could to bring her in breathing, more or less, but if she struggled, oh well. Nothing personal, just business.

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #6 on: 01/30/13 07:57:51 »
Jennica halted once more as the individual, a man by the sound of his voice, spoke again.  Listening to what he had to say in response, her eyes narrowed at the word Dar'jetii.  It was one she had heard before, but had never learned what it meant in Basic . . . though she had a very good idea about the meaning.  For a long moment that seemed to stretch out for one or two minutes, she was utterly silent, before finally manipulating the Force to make the cloud of fog dissipate.  Following that action, she dropped to the ground while simultaneously dropping the pair of subtle methods she had employed to avoid detection, knowing that upon landing . . . she would be standing half in and half out of a beam of light from one of the nearby street lamps.  It would be enough to illuminate her features, and hint at the armor she wore, but it wouldn't reveal the lightsaber hanging from her utility belt.  Particularly because it was now grasped firmly in the hand behind her back.

Remaining utterly motionless and unblinking even as the light shone almost-directly in her eyes, Jennica's silver gaze focused intently on the man's helmet, though she had taken note of his hand resting on his weapon.  Finally, she spoke, and her voice was utterly emotionless, inflection-less, and held no accent whatsoever aside from the precise and informative tone she had chosen to adopt.  "No, I don't think you do know who or what you hunt.  Though that begs the question, was it you that chose not to learn anything about your target, or the person who posted the bounty?"  Lifting a finger to indicate his armor, she continued.  "It would be a shame to ruin your armor, judging from the good condition you keep it in."  Bringing her other hand out from behind her back, she revealed the lightsaber clasped firmly in her fingers before clipping it to her utility belt once more and then stepping back into the shadows, seeming to disappear completely.

Though she did offer a final remark before letting him consider all that she'd said.  "If either of you had truly done the research, you would know - I've not been Sith for years."  Her voice was still filled with the same matter-of-fact tone she'd had all along, as she fell silent, allowing her words to hang in the air between them.

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #7 on: 01/30/13 17:57:24 »
"Lady, you forget I can still see you," he stated flatly, staring straight at her through his thermal imaging. "It doesn't matter what you are now, there's still a price on your head."

He drew his sidearm and casually flicked the safety off before continuing.

"I know exactly what I'm hunting and, honestly, I have to give you credit. You've hidden out for a long, long time without being spotted and you've evaded numerous capture and kill missions. On top of that, you're a top rated Force sensitive and you've a bounty to match," Betna said with a shrug. "Whether you're Sith or not doesn't matter. The bounty's still active. You of all people should know that just because you change your colors doesn't mean you leave your past behind you."

Betna held the flechette pistol low at his waist, the laser targeter hovering on his quarry. He waited until the targeter flashed green on his HUD before continuing.

"Now, we've got two options here. Option A: you come quietly and have a discussion with whoever put the bounty on your head or Option B: you resist and I either drag you there kicking and screaming or very, very limp," he said. "Now, I've had a long day and would much rather prefer you pick Option A, but if you really want to resist then we can do it the hard way, too."

Offline Jarr

« Reply #8 on: 01/30/13 19:44:07 »
Jarr watched the exchange from the entrance of the alley.  He had been following Betna, just to see what he was up to, and it seemed something had come of it.  A force sensitive, apparently.  The clone figured it was time for him to move in.  A few strides and he was within Betna's view, DSR at the ready.  "Well this looks exciting." he said jauntily.  "Mind if I join in?  I sure am interested in force wielders of any kind, whether it be to kill or save them." Jarr raised his weapon to aim at Betna, wanting the woman alive if she was Jedi.  If she was Sith... well, Jarr would just ask for the kill when the time came.  There was nothing he loved more than Sith blood on a wall.

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #9 on: 01/31/13 06:50:15 »
Glancing briefly at the blaster even as the man aimed it at her, Jennica's only reaction was to lift one eyebrow slightly at his words.  Before she got the opportunity to respond, however, another man appeared, his own weapon lifted in the first man's direction.  The hybrid felt her brow return to where it had been, as the second man's voice fell silent, and her gaze shifted from one to the other and back again before finally speaking again, the same matter-of-fact tone evident in her voice.  "I never denied that there is a price on my head.  I simply stated that however it turned out, you do not know everything about the target.  Myself, in this situation."  A thin smile punctuated her words before she continued.

"But since you seem inclined to ignore that particular fact, and given the weapon aimed at me, it seems I have little choice but to defend myself - even though I would prefer to discuss this rationally."  So saying, in a single movement that was precise and efficient, the pale-skinned hybrid reached down and detached her lightsaber, igniting it at her side.  The silver-hued blade sprang to life without a sound, one benefit of the stygium crystal the weapon contained, and Jennica dropped into the opening stance of her preferred style with very little wasted energy.  The style, commonly known as Soresu, was primarily a defensive one and had been the only one the young hybrid had ever chosen to use actively.  Which had given her plenty of time to hone her skill with it over her life.

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #10 on: 02/02/13 14:02:43 »
Betna flicked over to the frequency he knew Jarr would be listening in on and opened up a comm link.

"She's dar'jetii. Or was at some point, so she says. I'm claiming the bounty," he growled. "If I fail, she's yours, but I intend to bring her in, vod."
He then flicked back to his external mic before speaking again, noting that the woman had already ignited her 'saber and was ready to fight.
"And here I thought this was going to be a boring day," he said aloud. Actually, he had been hoping for an uneventful day, but it looked like yet another adrenaline fueled evening for him. "Tell you what. You shut off that lightsaber, we go down to the bounty office, and you can explain your case to the lovely people there. Last chance."
Though he'd managed a target lock with the flechettes, he flicked the selector over to the heat discharge. It was a bit too close for the flechettes to be fully effective while the heat blast was designed for close in fighting. Besides, the blast fired a conical discharge of searing heat. It might kill the target if he was unlucky, but he'd never heard or seen a force user deflect one before.

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #11 on: 02/02/13 17:32:11 »
A decided lack of reaction was Jennica's only response to the man's remark about it being a boring day, thought it was accented by an eyebrow lifted ever so slightly, and a single reply that was as precise as her movements had been.  "You wave a gun in my face, demand I go with you to the point of threatening me, and ignore the fact that your intelligence on a bounty you accepted, is lacking.  And now, when I am armed, now you wish to discuss things."  Her other eyebrow rose to match the first one, before she continued.  "Now it is my turn to dictate your actions."

Reaching out with the Force, Jennica slipped the power source free from the man's weapon, sending it flying into the alley behind her before she continued.  "Find another bounty.  An easier one might be more to your liking."  A touch of what might have been construed as humor entered her voice with her next words, even as the tip of her weapon lifted to point directly at the man's helmet.  "I'll even go with you, to help."  It was as close as to mocking humor as she was likely to get, though her voice returned to its customary neutral tone and inflection with her next words.

"The choice is yours.  And, depending on who is at the bounty office, you might learn a thing or two."  A slight shrug lifted her shoulders as if to say "We'll see."

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #12 on: 02/05/13 17:33:08 »
The bounty hunter watched the power clip skitter away down the alley and sighed loudly.

"Why do you Force users always do that? First my wife, now you," he grumbled aloud as he fished another clip out of his belt and began loading it into the pistol. "You know, just once I'd like see someone do that without removing the clip. Just for a change of pace. That way I can go home after I turn the chakaar in for the pay and say 'Hey, Tashya, see? You can disarm someone without fiddling with the clip!' just to see what she'd say."
He then leveled the pistol again at the woman before continuing.
"Sorry," he said with a shrug. "But that trick annoys the hell outta me. My wife did it when we first met on Rhen Var. I was lucky to find the damned clip later. Things're expensive," he shrugged again. "Back to business, Sith. Are you gonna come quietly or not? 'Cause I'm getting pretty tired of talking this out."

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #13 on: 02/05/13 20:18:44 »
Jennica's only response to his first remark was an almost imperceptible lift of one eyebrow as she filed away the name he uttered.  Tashya.  It was one familiar to her, though the pistol he directed at her once again, followed by by his next words, were of more importance . . . for now.  Her voice rang out once more, the lightsaber unwavering from the position she held it in, the tip continuing to remain aimed at his helmet.  "As you seem to prefer ignoring what I have said about not being Sith, I have even less inclination to listen to your words."  Locking her elbow to prevent the lightsaber from lowering, the pale-skinned woman reached out and wrapped a telekinetic grip around the weapon in his hands.

Turning her attention back to him long enough to speak, the hybrid paraphrased an earlier remark, though her voice was as flat as ever.  "We will go, though I will keep this to ensure civility . . . until further notice."  Even as her remark fell from her lips, Jennica deftly slid the weapon from his grasp a few moments before adding one last comment.  "On another matter, I know of this Tashya whom you speak."  Lifting her empty hand to wrap fingers around the weapon before tucking it into a concealed pocket, she finally lowered her own weapon and deactivated it, clipping it to her belt before finishing her remark.  "Though that is a matter for another time."

Offline Jarr

« Reply #14 on: 02/06/13 20:07:52 »
Jarr stayed silent once more as the two conversed some more, then it seemed an agreement was reached.  The clone stepped a bit closer, lowering his weapon.  "You know, there's a better way to do this.  I'm quite sure that the Chandrilan army will pay nicely for a Jedi, if you understand me." Jarr nodded at Arbbi.  "Unless, of course, you have already committed to a deal.  Then, of course, I understand your want to bring her in." Jarr gestured to the Jedi, but kept his eyes trained on Betna.

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #15 on: 02/07/13 19:38:29 »
Betna watched as the woman disarmed him. He wasn't even that mad, he was more annoyed that this wasn't going the way it was supposed to, though he had to admit no one had disarmed him like that before. That was new, at least. He then focused on the tip of the 'saber pointed at his helmet.

"You know, that is really annoying," he said eventually, his mind wandering a bit. "Kudos for making it quieter than a regular 'saber, though. Still annoying to have you point it in my face, however. Mostly the glow, I think."
He thought at what she'd stated beforehand and mulled it over a bit, noticing that she'd lowered it after a few more seconds.
"So, you know Tashya then," he said after a moment, memories of Rhen Var surfacing in his mind. "Mind explaining how? I kind of have an idea, but I'd like some clarification... Jetii."

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #16 on: 02/07/13 19:57:20 »
Making a note of all that the man had said, as well as his inquiry regarding Tashya, Jennica lowered her weapon in the same economical and efficient manner she'd wielded it with to this point.  Clipping it to her utility belt as soon as it switched off, the darkness reclaiming the area around the three of them a moment before the hybrid replied aloud.  "If your idea is that I was the mysterious benefactor on Tashya's recent job, then you would be correct."  Silver eyes fixed on his helmet, unblinking, before she added, "Annoying as it may be to you, you are still alive and unharmed."  Lifting a hand in a pointed invitation for him to lead the way to the bounty office he spoke of earlier, her gaze remained watchful, locked on his helmet without blinking - though she spared enough focus to watch the rest of his body as well.

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #17 on: 02/08/13 06:24:28 »
Betna shook his head slowly.

"No," he said. "No. I want to know just why you've been helping Tash. Forget the bounty office, this is somewhat more important."
He crossed his arms and stared at the woman before him. He wasn't going anywhere until questions were answered.
"You've been helping her out for a while. Why? You can stow any 'kindness of your heart' explanations. I highly doubt that's the case."
He was aware of Jarr in his peripherals, but ignored the man for now. This was between him and the Jetii.

Offline Jennica Sorsten

• Shadow Knight
« Reply #18 on: 02/08/13 09:23:39 »
Remaining silent as the man spoke, Jennica's gaze was unwavering as she considered what he'd said, before replying aloud once more with a cryptic tone in her voice.  "Suffice to say that I chose to help her fulfill her potential.  My reasons for doing this are my own," and here she paused, continuing to watch him as she resumed her explanation, this time with a firm tone in her voice, "and they are not oriented towards any negative purpose.  As well, I knew Casmaran's true personality, and I take any opportunity that presents itself to foil the plans of those like him."  A thin smile was briefly visible on her face before disappearing, and she added one further remark in a matter-of-fact tone.  "I am not Sith, as I've stated more then once, but neither am I Jedi.  I work towards creating and preserving a balance between the two extremes, albeit in small ways - for now."  And then she fell silent, waiting and watching for his reaction.

Offline Arrbi Betna

« Reply #19 on: 02/08/13 16:57:34 »
"So, you did it to help her reach her full potential, hm?" he said bluntly. "To keep balance and stop people like Casmaran. Well, Casmaran's dead and gone, I can tell you that much, if you didn't already know. As for not being Jedi or Sith, what should I call you, hm? I doubt you want me to call you shabuir. So what do I call you?"

He was rather irritated at this point, though he knew not why. Probably her complete lack of emotion for all things. That was it, most likely. Mandalorians used their emotions in all things, it was how they worked, really. She didn't seem to give two creds for just about anything or anyone. She helped people, sure, but only for her own ends. To "keep the balance" between light and dark. It all spoke of subtle plots and hidden agendas to Betna and that was something he didn't like.