Author Topic: Exiles, Part Two: Of Crafted Futures [EiE, Complete]  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Tyren Helios

Imperial Palace, Nyx

"So you're sure this is necessary?" Emperor Tyren Helios asked of his cohort, who remained shrouded, cloaked. That was her way.

"Entirely. This planet requires mapping. I did not map it all out, unfortunately. You will need to have your people find things."

"I see," Tyren said, a hand on his chin. 

Nyx was a worldcraft; that is, a planet that was smaller, artificial, with an artificial gravity field and atmospheric containment field, and even with tractor beams holding the sun and moon in their appropriate orbits. However, with its creation, Nyx was populated and thriving... but not explored. There were no maps. People had to travel by finding where they wanted to go. It was so new that cartographers had not done anything of the sort. And it was beginning to get to be a little bit of a problem. If people could not navigate Nyx, then there would be future troubles.

"Then send a message out. Have those interested in making a little bit of money explore the planet and report their findings."

The woman nodded her head, turned, then left. There was much work to be done.

~~~~~~~~

Nyx itself was a small planet. One sun and one moon orbited it, but primarily the planet was small and thriving. It appeared orange and blue from space, and shimmered under the glow of the atmospheric containment field. With large oceans all across the planet, it had two primary continents: a northern, and a southern. The northern continent was a pure city, like Coruscant or Taris, named Imperial City. At its northern pole there was the Imperial Palace itself, rising tall. The southern continent had a number of cities, most of which were seaside port-cities connected to the north. The northern-most one was known as Gateway and was a massive transport facility, transporting grain and other resources processed up to Imperial City. The rest of the continent was good, fertile farmland where farmers could try their hand at growing crops for Nyx, which had happened so much to the point that it had been turned into an export industry.

But for the most part, Nyx was still unexplored. Many things had yet to be discovered, even within Imperial City.

~~~~~~~~

Want to explore and get paid to do it? The Cartographer's Guild is looking for new and exciting information on landmarks and sites of interest! Credit reward for each site found. Simply send us the location and the details of anything you find interesting! Prizes for the most unique locations found!

The notice was up on Holonet sites and billboards all around Nyx. The people who wished to go out and explore the planet could do so and simply send a message to the Cartographer's Guild, who would sort through all the entries and compose maps of the planet. These would then be used later on, and Nyx would be a little more accessible. Who knew what would show up? Ruins formed by freaks of nature? The perfect farm land? Entire cities that had gotten lost? Mountains, seas, rivers? Anything was possible here.

But who would answer the call?
« Last Edit: 04/22/12 06:53:42 by Lauda Cavataio »

Offline Jasmine Relota

Exiles, Part Two: Of Crafted Futures [EiE, Complete]
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/11 16:32:30 »

Jaz had only been on the planet for a few months by then, but exploring was something she did a lot of in her free time. It went along with her daily routine, and by now, she had a path carved in her own mind that lead out and back to the Knight’s Refuge. It was a quick run, one she could do a thousand times and never get tired of.

Walking down the halls, she had nodded to the other Knights on their way places, and she recognized a few faces well. Ser Ambrose, who seemed nice, Amaryllis with whom she didn’t know her all that well, and Tethis, her Master.

But now here she was, walking the halls to go to her own place all alone. 

Offline Zavek Ambrose

« Reply #2 on: 08/11/11 16:45:04 »
Walking through the knights refuge after one of his daily training regimes, Zavek laid eyes on another knight he had started to see often about the place, one Jasmine Relota she had seemed slightly out of place to him at first, but he had gotten used to seeing her around, and he was glad to see her when she was around. Today he finally decided to trade words with her instead of the usual smile and nod, so he turned and quickened his pace, "Miss Relota!" He said a bit chipper like as he slowly caught up to her and stopped by her, "Miss Relota. Mind if I walk with you today? I haven't really been outside of the refuge since I came here, and I know you go out quiet often, so I was curious if you wanted company?".

Walking beside Jasmine, Zavek smiled at her polity and hopes she would agree.

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #3 on: 08/11/11 17:15:44 »

She couldn’t help but be surprised when Zavek began walking along beside her and asked to go with her.

“I don’t see why not” She grinned at him. “I was actually taking part in Emperor Helios’ cartography challenge.”

Everyone had heard about it, it was literally everywhere.

“I find it helps to get out sometimes, see the world we’re on. But I’d enjoy the company.” It was a rather short walk to the trails, and an even shorter distance to the small river that twisted its way around for almost 12 miles.

Walking along the banks, she looked over at him quietly.

“So what is it you do here in the Empire Zavek? I know you’re a Knight… but not all that much else…”

She liked to know the people she worked with only because it helped her in the long run to know who her allies were.

While she waited for him to respond, she paused, looking out over the water before carefully dashing out, only freezing the water when her feet touched down.

It was peaceful, and quiet, and the way the force flowed around the natural elements made the stars she saw when she closed her eyes that much brighter. She could only hope Zavek could enjoy this half as much as she did.

She looked over then, realizing he probably couldn’t manipulate the water like she could before walking back over.

“Sorry about that… I get lost in my own little world within the force out here…”

(OOC Note: The pics are just for show as per the characters walking along. Only the one taken from the middle of said body of water is relevant. Ask me first if you want to reuse the images anywhere Thanks)

« Last Edit: 08/11/11 17:37:15 by Jasmine Relota »

Offline Xanos Knyghtshade

« Reply #4 on: 08/12/11 19:57:23 »
Major Knyghtshade walked casually down the halls of the ISB headquarters on Nyx, a building he had recently helped refurnish to better suit an Imperial lifestyle; mainly, he pointed at a room and told them to redo it til he liked it...or until the Emperor liked it. The exterior was already superior in every way; it almost reminded Xanos of a Sith Empire building, but with much more importance and much less rampant sex and violence. It lay on the edge of Gateway, rather than in the Imperial City, and faced the harbor, towering over pretty much every other building like a giant amongst Ewoks.

"Major, we've refurnished most of the officer's quarters. Would you like me to give you a tour of an example of one?" Xanos jerked slightly as a construction worker spoke up behind him. Turning slowly, he nodded. "Go ahead, then."

Smiling, the worker led Xanos down the hall and into one of the side rooms. "This is the new casual living quarters, which we designed after the classic Imperial color scheme of white and black. It has all the latest media tech in it to please any officer should he be staying here at the HQ, like yourself." Xanos shook his head slowly. "I live on Naboo, I'm only temporarily on Nyx until I can fully move over." The worker's smile faded slightly as he led Xanos into the next room.

"This is the bedroom, obviously. There's also a hot tub over there by the window, but with it being glass and all, it's developed to shade over when using it. Unless you don't want it to, but that's optional. The yellowish light over there is the on suite bathroom, fully stocked with the most exclusive luxury bathing supplies. Pretty nice, right?" Xanos nodded again, his face hidden behind his mask. "Next room please."

The worker finally entered the office area of the quarters. It lay blank, except for a desk, a swivel chair, and two empty cupboards. Off to one side was a door, which led into a conference room for the highest officials, which could seat a lot of people at once if necessary.
"So, Major, do you approve of the changes?" 
Xanos smiled behind his mask. "Yes. This will be perfect. How many room do you have left to refurnish?"
"Ninety, Major. We've completed one hundred and forty so far, and the last ninety will be for lower ranking officials, so they will be less luxurious than what you see here..."
Xanos shook his head hard. "No, no, no. They will designed exactly like these, I will not have my own men feeling jealousy over their quarters' qualities. Make sure this design  is adapted correctly. Got that?"
The worker nodded in response, a frown on his face. "And how will this be paid, Major?"
 Xanos smirked at this. "By the Emperor, of course."

Offline Zavek Ambrose

« Reply #5 on: 08/14/11 12:58:33 »
Staying quiet most of the time, Zavek smiled at the scenery as it all passed him, it was something he was glad to be apart of and see in these times of war, which always seemed to happen, in all his years he couldn't remember there ever being peace anywhere, and now he had found a small place for peace. Staying near by Jasmine he stopped as she crossed over the water and he looked at it in its frozen state, slightly astonished by what she had done, then she apologized and came back to which he chuckled "It's all good Jasmine, I don't mind at all." he smiled at her and nodded to her feet, "That's a cute trick though... I've never seen anyone do that before."

Offline Ayrill Madstrike

« Reply #6 on: 08/15/11 05:42:01 »

Ayrill had been on Nyx for a week now.  She'd been working closely with contractors, project designers and the workers that would be constructing the Nyx Naval Academy.  Her eyes scanned across the painted design of the exterior of the base in it's future site.

Ayrill scanned the photo and beckoned over a project design manager to walk her through the proposed functionality of the Academy's design.  "Captain Madstrike, What you are looking at is the Nyx Naval Academy in broad terms.   What we should point out is the building itself is going to be extended up three floors and  below ground for quite a distance.  I would say about five extra floors below ground to facilitate the size of the hangar bay.   That is going to be another point of interest.  The hangar bay, I mean.  As you can see, the interior of the base is hollowed out and vegetation is allowed to grow there for aesthetic value.  The trees and grass are both going to be holographic in nature.  The vegetation will be temporarily disabled and the gigantic metal doors will slide to into the ring above it when ships need to exit the premises.  The size of that interior area will be enough that two Star Destroyers will be able to land side by side within the hangar.  The main ring of the Academy will play host to Officer's offices and their adjacent quarters and your own office will be centralized near the six elevator bank.  The five floors of the Academy's lower levels will be home to Navy crew classrooms, flight training simulator rooms, crew quarters and recreational areas."

Ayrill smiled widely.  "Very thorough explanation and a very promising design, Mr. Romero. There is no doubt that my superiors will be pleased with this design."  She extended her hand to the project's design manager.  They looked each other in the eye as the shook hands and parted ways. 

Ayrill turned her attention to her home off to the left of the academy.  A five minute vehicle ride later,  Ayrill entered her home that was under construction with her newly hired assistant, Joleeq, a young rodian woman. "It is going to be a lovely estate.  I was surprised that construction was all ready underway on it.  I am to understand that they are working on a deadline, Joleeq?"

Joleeq frantically took to digging through her datapads to find out the information.  Ayrill raised a brow as she turned her head to view her assistant.  After a few minutes, Ayrill rolled her eyes, gave up and walked over to a member of the construction crew that was working on a wall of the structure.  He was trandoshan.  In Dosh, Ayrill asked impatiently, "Do you or anyone on this crew have any idea of whether or not you guys are working with a deadline?"

He replied back, "Our foreman stated at the beginning of the project that the deadline was two weeks from then.  So I would say, another week and your home shall be ready for furnishing."

Joleeq, who had remained with her nose buried in her bag of files the whole time, chimed in, "The foreman stated that they would be done two weeks from the beginning of the project.  So a week from now, I will arrange for furnishing to begin."   Ayrill looked back at her and turned to the worker.  Shaking her head while grinning, Ayrill cracked a joke about Joleeq in Dosh.  

Ayrill walked out through the threshhold of her home.  Quickly, she entered a repulsorlift vehicle onto her next construction site tour on Nyx.

Offline Tethis Aresis

« Reply #7 on: 08/15/11 10:36:16 »
Ayrill

Inside the repulsorlift vehicle was someone waiting for her; he'd taken a look at the things that were going on around the construction site from where he'd leaned against the door of their hovercar. What he'd seen of the facility impressed him, and aesthetically he did like the shape. It was a rather fine facility, and Tethis had to compliment her on it.
So, when she got in, he did.
"I like it. It looks brilliant," he said to her... then smiled warmly, and took one of her hands in his. It wasn't often they got moments like this. Their jobs caught them as ridiculously busy; he as an Imperial Knight, and she as a Captain aboard a Pellaeon-class Star Destroyer. When they had alone time, they took it. Every last second of it.
"So what other surprises do you have for me today, Ayrill?"

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #8 on: 08/16/11 12:23:50 »

“It’s just something I picked up here and there.”

She smiled brightly.

“You know, I had found this place that would make a good training spot for whenever more Knight’s join the Empire.”

She lead the way from there, to a large area, in the middle of the trees, where the grass was slightly longer, but the light was good and the air clear.

"I can see so many Apprentices coming here like I do to practice away from the lights and sounds of the city, to do back to their roots with Mother Earth." She turned to him then, "Would you ever take an apprentice?"

Offline Zavek Ambrose

« Reply #9 on: 08/16/11 16:52:34 »
Jasmin

Smiling with a nod, Zavek knew exactly what Jasmine had meant about it being something she picked up, he had skills like that of his own as well, and when she mentioned the new location he followed her to it with out question, and upon seeing it his jaw almost hit the ground, it was a beautiful sight indeed. "Yes, I agree, I could see many apprentices coming here and getting back to the roots of life. This place is beautiful..." a thought had come to his mind, but he bit his tongue before saying anything, now wasn't the time to be saying weird comments, and when she asked him about apprentices he blinked, "I never thought about it really, but yes I suppose I would take up an apprentice or more. It is our duty to pass on our knowledge to the next generation. How about you? Would you ever take an apprentice?"

Offline Lady Velori

« Reply #10 on: 08/22/11 19:48:42 »
Pacing around the Palace did little for her now that she had orchestrated the planet-wide scouring of resources and locales. Velori's interest in such was not for personal gain, but to simply see how people interacted with her little creation. No doubt rested in her mind that there would be many things she couldn't just account for by the sheer fact she'd jointed the puzzle pieces together. There was only one problem: how did she put them all together?  Start with the obvious. Right. And the obvious was around her: the Imperial Palace, the place she'd created for the Emperor. And who better than to show her around than the secretary to the Emperor himself? So saying, Velori tracked her down. She wasn't known for her kind temperament, this woman, but no matter.  "Ms. Belle," said the Shaper, "I need a detailed look at this Palace."

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #11 on: 08/22/11 19:49:38 »
This week, the secretary had decided, her office would be up in the castle, near the attic. There was much work that had to be done, and even a little lady in corset and starched collars who was aided by two protocol droids could use a bit of quiet from time to time. The plan was, in fact, for no one to manage to find her until she was done with work. But plans have a wonderful thing; they never quite happen.

So one could easily imagine her surprise when someone called her name out. Brows frowning so hard they were nearly giving each other hand shakes pressed together, and her delicate chin rose up, landing on Velori. Of course, Ms. Belle knew everyone who worked for the Dynast-King, at least by name and facial recognition, and this woman was not an exception. She had, after all, sort of made this place one where one could live.

"Lady Velori," Adora replied, her thick Brit-accent unhidden, She wasn't quite sure why Velori woulod come to her for that. After all, she'd built the palace herself.

Nodding her head once, Adora opened the drawer of her desk and removed an object from there, setting it at the edge of the table so that the Lady could take it; it was a miniature magnifying glass.

Offline Lady Velori

« Reply #12 on: 08/22/11 19:50:56 »
The Master Shaper looked at the item before her... and then clicked her tongue once, a scowl forming on her lips. Obviously, Velori was not happy with this little statement and its ramifications. Certain things didn't go over well with her.  "You don't need to be so literal, y'know," she said, taking the magnifying glass and holding it in her left hand.   Instead, she looked around the office, finding it clean and well-kept-- but you had to expect that from a secretary-- and knowing full well what she had to expect from her. "I meant that I need a look at the rooms of this Palace. I don't exactly know my way around, and if we are to accomplish the Emperor's task, then we have to start with the Palace."  Her grin was sly, and just as sudden. "But if you don't know your way around, then..."

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #13 on: 08/22/11 19:53:32 »
A perfectly arched black eyebrow rose at Lady Velori's comment. Adora was just about to open her mouth and reply in a very headmistress-ish way, that if the Lady had expected anything else she should have specified, because certain things were expected from the woman who had actually built the palace. But there was no time for such a snarky remark, for the Lady had just continued to speak again as she examined her office.

The faintest of blush rose to Adora's cheeks in response to that. How dare she! This was Adora's office! It was perfectly clean by default! Not because it was any office, not because Adora was the secretary, but because this place, eventhough it moved on a regular basis, was Ms. Belle's Territory. And of course, the taunt…

Ms. Belle ground her heels in the floor, all four inches of them, and stood up, her back stiffer than a board, her chin perfectly parallel to the floor.

"Then let me accompany you," she said, her voice stiff, "far be it from me to assume the person who built this place can't be bothered with being able to get around it."

Offline Lady Velori

« Reply #14 on: 08/22/11 19:54:08 »
"Oh, pff," Velori said, waving her hand absent-mindedly. "You act like I'm the Queen Bitch of Everything around here. I just put some rocks and some water together. I didn't build the cities. Seriously, relax!"  Either way, the secretary had agreed, so there were going to be no problems. So she hoped, anyway. Things like this occasionally didn't quite go to plan, but that wasn't much of a concern for the Emperor's pet Shaper of Kro Var. She just rocked up every now and then, agreed to fix things - whether it was a misplaced girder or some particularly recalcitrant operative - but this? Right. It was just a tour of the stupid Palace.  Velori turned around and left the office without preamble.   Give a few seconds of walking to make sure she had her bearings, and the woman-- who Adora would now notice was barefoot-- looked around. "Alright. Where to first?"

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #15 on: 08/22/11 19:55:09 »
Following Lady Velori out, Adora's heels clicked against the marble floors of the palace, announcing her arrival a good few minutes before she actually got anywhere. Her hands were firmly clasped behind her back, helping her body keep herself up right.

So the Lady wanted a tour, did she not?

"Let us begin with the back yard," Ms. Belle said as she took a few quick steps, taking the lead, "the hanging gardens of Nyx are a wonder to behold and demand daily care to keep them as they are. They provide shade for those who wish not to expose themselves directly to our current sun and as we remain in this orbit, the smell of the current season's flowers is sweet on the nose."

Offline Lady Velori

« Reply #16 on: 08/22/11 19:56:05 »
Velori actually had to chuckle at that. "Not like the Emperor's left any room in the City for an actual garden, anyway..."  It was no secret that the ecumenopolis that formed Imperial City took up everything on the north continent, with its skyscrapers and massively tall buildings. To have a hanging garden, that did not take up precious landspace, was the best idea - but, she was right. It was a marvelous thing, held up by repulsor fields, and an absolute wonder to gaze upon. Waterfalls dotted the gardens here and there, a feat not otherwise achievable.  True to form, Velori absolutely loved it - but she knew she couldn't hang around.  "Hmm. What's next, then?" she enquired. It'd seem rushed, but she knew the secretary wouldn't want to waste time.

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #17 on: 08/22/11 19:57:11 »
Well that was quick. Adora didn't let her surprise show, but she'd certain the Lady Velori would want to spend more times in the hanging gardens. She was supposed to be some kind of a tree hugger, or wind hugger, or whatever you called them these days.

With a firm nod, Ms. Belle turned on her heel and led the way back inside.

"Next, is the library,"
she said. The library was… Still not quite there. It had been built to be huge and accommodating, true. There were lavish sofas to sit down and read, brown tapestries, wall to wall bookshelves. But there was also a piece of red rope hanging from wall to wall, suggesting that people did not wish to pass it. The truth of the matter was that the library was barely 20% full; they had plans on filling it up, but for now, high quality holos made all the shelf space seem occupied, and the rope just told people to keep away because they were renovating.

And yet, even the 20% they had was no small fear under any circumstance. They were bigger than a community library, in any case, and under a glass shield held one hand written document, perfectly curled, which detailed the oh so vast history if Nyx, in only 4 pages, side to side.

Offline Lady Velori

« Reply #18 on: 08/27/11 22:10:36 »
Libraries... well, Velori had to admit she was not entirely comfortable when it came to libraries. That came, partially, from the fact that she wasn't literate in Galactic Standard Basic. She could speak it, but ask her to read or write in Aurebesh, as they called it, she would be at a complete loss. It was a rare affliction these days, she knew, but it was one she concealed well. Besides, she had a complete and utter distrust of technology to the point that she never kept a datapad for people to send her messages. It was a great way to get around it.  "I... see," she ended up saying kind of at a loss. It looked nice, and that was great, even if it was empty and devoid of actual books and datapads for the records of the Galaxy that they intended to fill it up with. However, this was so not her place.It was obvious, from the way she was shifting from foot to foot, that this place was making her uncomfortable. She couldn't help it, though. It was just the way things were.   "I guess it's kind of empty and you'll be fixing it up later, right?" It was a non-specific you, which Velori was adept at using. "What's next?" 

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #19 on: 08/27/11 22:13:04 »
"Our King will," Adora nodded firmly. She had no intention of being in charge of that project in any kind of a way. What she wanted, was a shiny protocol droid that could remember the whole library at its intended size to full, including the ability to freely quote from it at any random point of choosing.

What was next?

"Pardon my question, Lady Velori," Ms. Belle asked, clasping her hands behind her back, "but what is it actually that interests you? You seem... Unimpressed so far."