Author Topic: I'm Choosing a Different Path For Myself (Completed)  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Jasmine Relota

Jasmine had always been the quiet sort. Growing up she hadn’t talked much, hadn’t done much, only spent her time in the library, or aimlessly doodling on a piece of paper. That was, until she had discovered she could fight. And that she could use the force.

Immediately her mother had sent her to learn martial arts, which, a fat lotta good that had done her. She still knew so very little about the force, or how to control it. She only knew she had some form of basic control. And then after martial arts, it had been back to her routine. Go to the library, get books, go home. Read said books, doodle about the characters in said books, and then go to help her mom with things around the house. It was boring. But today she knew was going to be different…

She was walking along the streets of Ryloth, minding her own business when out of the blue, a merchant hailed her. She was taller than most humans, but contributed it to blood from her father she wasn’t aware of, which is why she figured the man was trying to get her to go over. Continuing through the marketplace, she made her way towards the library on the edge of town when a rough pair of hands grabbed her from behind, dragging her into an alley.

Instinctively, she used the books in her hand to beat at the person behind her, lashing out at the other two masked men with her feet. Twisting sharply, she fell to the ground at their feet, before spinning on her hand and tripping up the three people. Just as she rose to her feet though, books in hand, one of the men pulled a blaster.

Jasmine froze.

Time slowed down for her as she raised the books and ducked. She vaguely remembered the sound of a blaster firing, and then there was nothing.

« Last Edit: 04/22/12 06:10:20 by Lauda Cavataio »

Offline Adora Belle

I'm Choosing a Different Path For Myself (Completed)
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/11 22:03:31 »
"Bang, bang, you're dead." came the icy voice of Ms. Adora Belle. Call her Adorable and she would kill you. She would probably kill you for less. But right now she'd just shot three men in under two seconds on the clock, and she moved to hang it back in her belt as though it was nothing.

Ms. Adora Belle was quite a... character. She stood 5"5 (including 4 inch heels), all perfectly tight; a corset that shrunk her waist so small you could wrap your hands around it, with an upward collar that was starched until it was so sharp it threatened to cut the neck of those who did not know how to properly wear it, and a very long pencil skirt that limited her stride. Her face was a perfect shade of pale white, with black eyeliner framing her bright blue eyes. Her black hair was pulled into a bun so tight that it threatened to rip apart from her scalp, and the item perfecting that whole image was a shade of V. Red Lipstick on her lips. All in all, she looked like someone who'd speak with a very heavy British accent.

Oh, and accompanying her were two protocol droids. Empire's property, but her slaves, more or less.

Beepidie boop bo do booo beep!

"Yes, yes, I can see quite clearly that she's face down."

Dlup brr bzzt boo beep beeeeeeeep boo!

"Well then, there are two of you! Pick her up! I've still got two thumbs!"

Now that she had two free hands, one of them removed the datapad she'd held onto firmly with one hand, and the other one removed a long cigarette from a hidden pocket. She pressed it between her perfectly red lips and then used her freed gloved hand to light it, immediately taking an aura of blue-gray smoke to herself. Shaking her head as the two droids struggled to get the correct balance which was required to pick a human up, Ms. Belle turned around and left the alley, her high heels clicking against the concrete ground.

"We'll take her to the infirmary at the embassy" she said, seemingly into the air but one of the droids beeped an answer back to her.

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #2 on: 08/07/11 23:09:44 »

She awoke to white walls, white lights, and a strange smell which gave her a rather bad headache. There wasn’t anyone in the room that she could tell of, but once the room stopped spinning, she would be able to make sure of that. The three goons from before at least weren’t there, but she had no idea where her books had gotten too, let alone where she had gotten too.

“Where am I?” her voice was groggy, not one that she even recognized. Maybe this was how people felt when they got punched in the holovids. Like a ten ton train had run them over.

Offline Tethis Aresis

« Reply #3 on: 08/07/11 23:25:53 »
In the Embassy's medbay, it was the crimson-clad Imperial Knight that stood over the figure of the woman that the Emperor's secretary had brought in. Miss Belle was excellent at her job and had brought a poor, unfortunate citizen in for his healing. That much he could certainly do. His hands were glowing a soft blue-white as he hovered them over her body, letting the Force meld in with the lines of her body. He could tell from it that the Force ran true with her.

"You're at the Imperial Embassy," he told her calmly. "Do you remember what happened to you?" The Force was much like an anaesthetic as he worked, trying to soothe her pain.

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #4 on: 08/07/11 23:32:10 »

She had noticed the man clad in red before she heard him speak.

Imperial Embassy?

“I’m afraid I don’t remember what happened besides ducking when one of them pulled a blaster. Bookworm’s aren’t blaster-proof, however much we wish we were…” Her shoulder was sore, but the pain became duller with every passing moment.

“Who do you happen to be? Not one of them I would hope…” Gods. He could be one of them. She hadn’t seen who they were when she had been attacked. Masked men never ended well anyways. That much she did know.

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #5 on: 08/07/11 23:32:58 »
Ms. Belle had decided that today, her office would be near the entrance. Her droids had spent the better portion of an hour moving all the relevant books and machines there, and she herself set behind the desk, back too straight to seem human, perfectly manicured nails tapping against the wood. The nails, if you were wondering, were the same shade of V. Red as her lipstick.  Her droids beeped around her as they scanned the books the girl they picked off the streets had carried, and eventually, for no reason that anyone could specifically point at and say "Oye, there's a reason!", Ms. Belle stood up and walked to the infirmary.

Her heels' clicks against the floor were heard a mile away.

Offline Tethis Aresis

« Reply #6 on: 08/07/11 23:36:14 »
"No bookworm ever is. We're rare creatures, after all," he had to reply with a grin, moving his hands closer to her head in order to let the soothing effects kick in more. While Tethis was not a master of healing, he was well-versed in it. He knew that her lines had to be fixed completely before he'd let her up from the table; no bruising or scarring, no risen blood, no anything. While it was a minor hit, it was just his way. 

"Me? I'm an Imperial Knight, and your healer," Tethis said with a nod. "Tethis Aresis, at your service. And you are?"

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #7 on: 08/07/11 23:40:53 »
"Playing the knight in shiny armor today, are we not, Mr. Tethis?" came Ms. Belle's British accent from the door as she strode in, preceded by the sound of her heels. She still had her blaster attached to her belt, and her arms were perfectly triangularly folded against her waist. Her bright blue eyes moved to the girl who was still on the bed. "She is Ms. Jasmine Relota," she answered for the girl, "or so the little stickers in the books she took from the library claim."
« Last Edit: 08/07/11 23:43:47 by Adora Belle »

Offline Tethis Aresis

« Reply #8 on: 08/08/11 00:02:17 »
"Perhaps not shining, Miss Belle, but most definitely in armour," Tethis responded back wryly.

His hands withdrew, their glow subsiding. He peered at his patient, curiosity laced on his features. "How do you feel now?"

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #9 on: 08/08/11 00:04:21 »

“Supposedly books don’t lie, and in this case they would be right. I am Jasmine,” She smiled at Tethis, then at the woman who had just walked in. “Though I take it you would know Mr. Tethis?” At least now she knew her books were safe, where ever they were. Ms. Calder would kill her if she harmed her books, if she didn’t kill herself first.

“I feel better than I did, thank you,” She slowly sat up, running her fingers across her shoulder, the singed hole in the fabric of her shirt clearly telling what had transpired. 

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #10 on: 08/08/11 00:09:26 »
"Oh yes," Ms. Belle commented, "Thank the man with the shiny armor for putting his hands on you, yet neglect to thank the woman who shot the three men, thereby saving your life. A wonderful result of the misogynist lives we lead today, indeed."

Clasping her hands behind her back, Adora Belle nodded her head once, the sharp ends of her collar seeming to nearly decapitate her for a moment, yet her chin stopped exactly 3.14 millimeters away from the sharp edge. 

"The men who were chasing you, Ms. Relota," the woman said, resuming business as usual, "they are known as Friends of Sentientity. A group of fanatic individual who are no fans of Force Users. What is your involvement with them?"

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #11 on: 08/08/11 00:14:12 »

“I’m terribly sorry, I didn’t know…” It was a tad overwhelming, the woman who seemingly tempted death and an Imperial Knight both addressing her.

“I wasn’t aware I had any involvement with them until the current moment. I don’t think they were a fan of me anyways if they aren’t fans of Force Users.” No point in holding out information at this point. It related to her studies anyways.

“My books were an attempt, however failed, to learn more about the force. They must’ve seen them.”

Offline Tethis Aresis

« Reply #12 on: 08/08/11 00:24:00 »
Tethis shook his head, just minutely. He didn't argue with the secretary - that was just dumb.

"Learning about the Force is as easy as coming to the Embassy and asking," Tethis admitted. "We're a lot better about discussing the Force nowadays, even if it does not properly belong as part of Imperial Science." The Galaxy-spanning knowledge that contributed to the Imperial sciences weren't quite up to date... but it was a lot better than it used to be.
"Instead of my dealing with this group, perhaps I can tell you?"

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #13 on: 08/08/11 00:41:44 »

She got the feeling no one argued with the secretary like woman.

“Well, I think that would probably be a smart thing to do, now that I know.” She rubbed the back of her neck, grimacing slightly. She was a smart girl, but apparently not smart enough.

If he could tell her, it would be so incredibly much easier than sitting in the library pouring over book upon book looking for simple things.

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #14 on: 08/08/11 00:49:59 »
"Yes, we've tagged your wonderful collection of Force for Dummies," Ms. Belle said, "they are being returned to the library as we speak. Mr. Aresis here will provide you with better tuition than those things could." Was that a hint of a compliment in her stiff, icy, oh-so-British-voice?

Taking three steps, which by any law of physics, considering the confinement of her pencil skirt, should have ended her up only a meter from the door but instead placed her right by Ms. Relota's bed, Adora Belle removed a small stack of papers from under her arm and placed them, gently, atop of the girl's lap.

"You will have to sign these documents," she said, nodding again, "it's your usual, I pledge my body and soul for the Empire that hates the Sith and will put my life in reckless danger time and time again in return for learning how to be a Force User, with annual time off for Sithmas and Easter kind of a thing. I'm sure you've seen such documents before, Ms. Relota. And once that is done, you and Mr. Aresis may go outside and play. I hear the weather is lovely this time of the year."
« Last Edit: 08/08/11 00:52:57 by Adora Belle »

Offline Tethis Aresis

« Reply #15 on: 08/08/11 00:52:56 »
"A good idea. Far better that you can be told in a situation comfortable than be confronted by people who could hurt you," Tethis replied with a wry smile. It was an interesting situation indeed.

And then all that, which... well, Tethis had to laugh. It was so over the top that it was hilarious. "You don't need forms to learn the Force, Miss Belle," Tethis told her as soon as he stopped laughing, which took a while. "I don't like to hoard the knowledge... but I won't lie, someone else at the side of the Emperor would not hurt me at all."
Then he looked to Jasmine, entirely serious. That choice was hers, but he wasn't going to hold back what she wanted because of it.

"The simple fact is that you are indeed Force-sensitive, whether you know this or not, and you are able to tune in to the all-pervasive energy that binds all living things known as the Force. This knowledge can help you - and save your life. And, of course, it opens pathways to learning talents and powers that most people would call superhuman. All it requires is an open mind, confidence in yourself, and a willingness to learn - and the doors open themselves."

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #16 on: 08/08/11 00:57:38 »
If eyes could freeze time with their anger, Ms. Belle's eyes would have frozen the room right there and then. Instead, she remained as stiff as a board, counting until 10 inside her head. Slowly.

When that didn't help, she counted again.

Reaching the end of her count, she removed a single long cigarette from her sleeve and a lighter. The lighter had spider webs in the art that covered it, funnily enough, but within an instant it was gone, and the aura that engulfed Ms. Belle now was one of blue and gray smoke as she inhaled from her cigarette, showing tha her lungs held more power to them than any human had any right to be.

"Mr. Aresis," she said as she tapped her foot against the floor once, "In case you have forgotten, we are at war. This is hardly the time for being philanthropic with your time and your energies. Teach the girl how to use the Force, it is quite obvious that this is something she requires, but do not teach her for free. Our Empire requires all the soldiers it can harvest and you, I fear, are not enough to be a one man army for the Dynast-King."

Turning her gaze back to the girl, Ms. Belle took another puff from her long cigarette, "Sign the documents."

Offline Jasmine Relota

« Reply #17 on: 08/08/11 01:10:57 »

The blue gray smoke made the room hazey, and taking a breath, she coughed a tad before taking up a pen from the woman. As her mother had taught her, she took the time to read every sheet, before signing the lines where it had the signature lines.

“Imperial Knights. And the only requirement is being force sensitive. Well I have that part covered, even if I don’t quite know what I’m doing just yet.” She smiled, handing back over the paper work to the woman.

Getting up from the table, she steadied herself before taking a step or two.

Offline Tethis Aresis

« Reply #18 on: 08/08/11 01:19:59 »
Tethis wanted to glare really hard at Adora, but he limited it to a shake of his head. "Yes, yes," he said, sighing. "Whatever makes your life easier, Miss Belle."
And he left it at that. Arguing with her? Not going to happen. Besides, she signed the paperwork anyway, and that was going to keep her happy. Tethis had, just like that, acquired another Imperial Knight. That was three. Three new students... he couldn't have been happier.
"That's like all things... it takes time and training to understand. But we have the time, and the training will come. We have plenty of resources to do it, but not here on Ryloth, unfortunately. We'll have to change locales for it to be of any use."

Fitting gear, for instance - Tethis didn't keep suits of armour around with him for this occasion. There was only one place to get it, and that was on Nyx. They'd have to go there to get anything done that would be any kind of useful - and on the way there, they could do Force training. Or something. He wasn't sure.

Offline Adora Belle

« Reply #19 on: 08/08/11 01:25:51 »
"Ms., not Miss," she corrected him with with the wave of a single finger. She could not abide people who got that wrong.

The sounds of fake cheering beeps and bloops came from the hall, and a moment later, one of Ms. Belle's droids appeared. Adora took the papers from Ms. Relota and handed them over to the droid. She'd carried them one way, there was no need to overdo herself.

"I shall have your passages for Nyx made ready within the hour," Adora said with a final firm nod, and then turned around.

For a second, it seemed as though the sound of her heels clicking against the floor was sounded before she actually walked. But then again, that might've just been a trick of the mind.

~ Adora Belle out ~