Author Topic: Empress Herself Couldn't Find Them This Good {Shery}  (Read 825 times)

Offline Asteria deWinter

• Mistress of Elements
  • Sith Mistress
It had been an old tradition, something Asteria had originally discarded. She chose to keep the basics after she'd taken over the Red Lady, slowly working her way back into the business it once was. And months ago, she finally decided she was ready, the traditional of Virgin Sacrifice was brought up again. The date had been set, the virgins had been captured and brought. They were all inspected and confirmed prior to them being brought before Lady deWinter. They knelt now before her, in pale white robes, more see-through than not. Even before the event, Asteria chose to make it a spectacle. She sat at her desk herself, dotting her signatures. As per her mother's rules, only the créme de la créme. Of course, not all from the old lists still were considered such. And a couple of new ones had emerged. It had been long since the event was held.

Reya cleared her throat, making her look up. Her new assistant was impatient, Asteria realized quickly upon promoting her which was something she'd deal with once the event was done with it. Jesse had been trained quite well but she'd requested to be assigned her own Red Lady to run and since she'd more than earned it, Asteria agreed to her request, sending her off to one of the smaller establishments. Her brow arched at Reya now, giving her a stern look before she continued signing two more letters. When there were no more, she pushed them gently to the side and rose to her feet. "You will do well to sort these out and mail them before this day is over with, Reya," Asteria pointed out and let her hand run through her hair. It was still strange to her, even weeks later. Her hair was brown now. It particularly made an impact on her eyes, making them stand out even more.

The other female did the wise decision, merely nodding her head at the task she'd been given. Asteria walked slowly before the girls, were were mostly in their late teens. Most were humanoid, with the occasional aliens. One blue Twi'lek. She wouldn't question how but it was something of a perk she planned. Her turquoise irises settled on her now, her eyes fixed to the ground. Lowering herself just slightly, she lifted her chin with her index. "She will be a delightful treat," she said quietly and smiled ever so softly before standing straight and moving to the others. She finally settled on a girl with golden hair, weak blue eyes. "This one. She will be the main course." There was a sort of innocence about her that would fit quite well. "Keep the rest though. They will be put on display for our guests."
« Last Edit: 10/20/15 13:15:42 by Asteria deWinter »

Offline Shery deWinter

• Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc...
  • Administrator
    • Star Wars: Descension
Re: Empress Herself Couldn't Find Them This Good {Shery}
« Reply #1 on: 10/29/15 06:08:27 »
It had been years since any Red Lady building had been graced with the presence of the original Lady deWinter. She had left the business to one of her daughters and vanished, seeing no reason to meddle with the industry that had given her her earliest opportunities to become what she now was. But even far away, she knew what big days were when they happened. The Web was forever shivering, moving, tangling, and she was sensitive to the most subtle change.

Every step her bare feet made on the floor left a stamp of ice, beautifully decorated, the tiny lines forming as spider webs, melting away a mere few moments later as eyes took in the white gown that adorned her body, her dark hair cascading in ringlets down to the middle of her back. But above all, it were the eyes that drew attention, the emerald green that glowed, taking in everything.

No assistant could slow her down or even pause her as she made her way towards her daughter, hints of a smile upon her face. Once the door closed, she sank into the couch, making herself comfortable as she eyed the inventory.

"Displays tend to be so boring, my dear," she said, her voice deep and rich, "perhaps you ought to make them interactive. Bring some toys from the attic."

Offline Asteria deWinter

• Mistress of Elements
  • Sith Mistress
« Reply #2 on: 11/02/15 11:00:11 »
She almost missed it, the well known feeling. It was hardly something she should have admitted to herself but at the level she'd reached, it certainly wasn't something she wished to dwell on. But truth was, Asteria had almost missed her own mother's signature through the Force. So when Shery deWinter opened the doors, the familiar sensation washing her off at surprise, Asteria looked to the entrance to find her mother gracefully moving through the room and sitting herself on the couch.

Asteria remained absolutely silent. Reya moved, ready to speak to the intruder. Her hand instantly rose, her focus on the woman's mouth as she forced it shut through telekinesis and kept it so. Whether she was plain stupid or just ignorant, Asteria would question later. For now, her mother suggested making the display interactive with some of the toys from the attic.

"Of course, Mother," she merely offered, her telekinetic focus on Reya's mouth. "Would you like something to drink?" And she waited, her purple haired assistant twitching slightly in an attempt to break free. Finally she settled down and waited. 

Offline Shery deWinter

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 11/04/15 10:02:12 »
She made no attempt to conceal the amusement on her face as she saw the dynamics between her daughter and her assistant. While it was true that good help was so often hard to find, and she herself had long ago released any attempt at receiving help from people such as Asteria's assistant, it was radically enjoyable to watch the display in front of her eyes.

"Cold water with ice cubes, served in a champagne glass," she saw after a few seconds of silence, "and have your assistants know this in advance in the future. I do loath to repeat myself without a truly good reason."

Waiting for the silly assistant to leave the room, the Sith Sorceress turned her attention back to her daughter.

"It appears that hiring criminally bad help is something that runs amongst all the children I've birthed," she said with a chuckle and leaned forward just a touch, "now do tell, my dear child. Have you missed me?"

Offline Asteria deWinter

• Mistress of Elements
  • Sith Mistress
« Reply #4 on: 11/04/15 15:57:57 »
Though Asteria did not miss the amusement on her mother's face, she did not show a reaction to it. Instead, the waited for her to play her order and sent a message into Reya's mind: 'Be useful, remember that. And never speak again to lady deWinter unless spoken to. I won't be this mind at your disrespect next time.' And she released her then. Reya looked at her and then at the brunette sitting on the counch and gave a curt nod before gesturing for the girls and the attendant present in the corner to follow.

Asteria and her mother were alone a few short moments later. Mother made a remark about criminally bad help. "My own fault. The old one was wonderful so I rewarded her. Training new help comes with the choice." Jessa was wonderful. So much so that she often knew what Asteria needed before she'd even been told. She understood the Red Lady, the busines side of it and Asteria more so than then woman thought it would be possible when she hired her. But it was because of all these things that she deserved to run her own section. Asteria needed people like that. It was just a shame there were so few. Reya needed training indeed.

Turning completely towards the couch, the young brunette gracefully walked over to the couch and took her own seat. Had she missed her? "Of course," Asteria merely said, giving the faintest of smiles. Anyone else would have mistaken it for nothing more than a curt response but Mother wouldn't be fooled by it. If anyone in this galaxy knew how much Asteria loved her, it was Shery deWinter. So much so that Asteria had always wanted to be exactly like her mother. The change of hair color though still new to her was definitely something in honor of her mother. The blonde hair on her head had always troubled Asteria. It was so different from both her parents but mostly from the parent she'd been closest to her whole life.

"Is this just a social call?" She had to wonder though. It had been a long while since the two had crossed paths and the meeting had not be quite to Asteria's liking.

Offline Shery deWinter

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 11/09/15 11:11:04 »
Lady deWinter didn't reply to her daughter's comment about new help. There were better ways to take entry level people, but she had long ago distanced herself from anything remotely related to the Red Lady, and she had no plans on meddling with it now, not by playing, and not otherwise.

Her eyes followed Asteria as the brunette moved to the couch. She could almost taste the longing in her daughter's speech, even if anyone else would have easily been fooled by the polite coldness of it. Five children had she birthed with Lorcan Dessel, and of those children, Asteria had always been her child, in every possible sense of the word. As had Adam, though things had gone sour there. Lorcan had Cordelia and Morgaine, even if Morgaine refused to admit it. And their youngest... Well. She belonged to more or less everybody. Yet for the past year or few, Lady deWinter had outright neglected her middle child.

No doubt that had cast a cold dagger in Asteria's heart. And what had she done with it? In the past, the Sith Mistress had always made a point to keep tabs on everyone and everything. Nowadays... She had little patience for almost anything. Was the browned hair part of it?

"Do you want it be?" she asked with a sly smile, "how long has it been since we last met, Asteria deWinter? How have you imagined this meeting would go, for you certainly knew that someday I come to you once again."
« Last Edit: 11/09/15 11:18:39 by Nessarose deWinter »

Offline Asteria deWinter

• Mistress of Elements
  • Sith Mistress
« Reply #6 on: 11/09/15 16:34:09 »
Did she? Asteria remained quiet, her eyes wandering across the office that while was not the one she'd inherited from her mother was decorated much like it. That was not something Asteria had done to honor her mother. On the contrary, the thought hadn't crossed her mind until now - when lady deWinter had graced her with her presence.

How long had it been since they last met? She remembered all too clearly. The old apartment, the small child in her mother's arms. Her godfather's. Not even a deWinter but more in tune with the past Asteria had only began to explore with the help of her ancestor that had one possessed Cameron. Asteria didn't care much for Boadicea but Ashmedai wasn't the least bit bad, as she'd learned. Still, Asteria didn't quite enjoy getting to know offspring of her parents that were not from both of them.

Reya entered in that moment, quietly moving across the office. Asteria realized a glimmer of fear in the girl's eyes as she brought a small coffee table before them and then brought the tray on it. Without being told, her assistant had prepared her tea and brought it now. She let her wander out and looked back to her mother

"What would it matter what I want?" She asked calmly and poured the tea into the cup, continuing with the task of finishing it off with the added ingredients. "Last time we met though, you held your precious child in your arms." There was no malice in her voice, an observation this time. Asteria had no feeling for Elora. She was only half way related to her and the concept never did sit well with her. Perhaps she'd been too posessive of her parents as a child, the feeling never quite leaving her. Having past three decades of her life though, she could hold no emotion towards them. No hate, no love. Just nothing.

How had she imagined this? "We met once, on Spira. And I'd never believed I'd battle the face of my mother. Even if it was Boadicea, it doesn't change the fact that she possessed your face of all. When we met again, you were colder than you have ever been." There was a young Asteria buried deep inside her heart still. She would have been sad now to speak this way. Her mother had always been her hero, her role model. Everything Asteria dreamed of being was modeled after Shery deWinter. So much so that she sometimes hated the blonde locks she'd been born with and the eyes that were a mixture of both her parents when some of her siblings had so much of her and could not appreciate it. "Imagination of meetings is for children, Mother. It leads to hope and disappointment. I prefer to grow into neither. I had once hoped never to be a disappointment to you but I do believe you've made your thoughts clear last time we've met." Had she put it in so many words? Asteria couldn't recall clearly but it was the bitter taste left on her soul from everything mother had told her.

"I am curious though what had happened to you in the time you'd been away, after she had possessed you." This was what she wondered. What had happened to her mother after. Their last two meetings aside, Asteria couldn't help but wonder.

Offline Shery deWinter

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 11/12/15 17:14:08 »
The Sith Mistress listened, her body or her face betraying no response to any of her child's words. Elora was precious indeed, currently sleeping not too far away in a crib designed by the Force itself.

Their meetings... Yes, Shery remembered them. She remembered trying to fight against Boadicea, unable to break through the possession. She had felt her lips move and her body act against her own children, as if such a thing could actually be possible. Everything, anything that she had ever done to her offspring, all of them save one, had been to strengthen them. For some, the children had grown to resent her. She could not fault them, though it disappointed her to see the weakness pulsing so hard.

With others...

When Asteria turned the questions to her mother, Lady deWinter rose from her seat. Her body language was light and fluent as it had always been, and she moved with the grace of a swan as she took step after step towards her daughter.

"I went to the place I vanished to after Brumhilda was born," she answered, and unlike her physical moves, there was no lightness in her voice, "I went to the place I vanished to after I was held prisoner by the Mandalorians. I went to the place I went to when the Galaxy thought me dead and buried."

Reaching Asteria now, she leaned down towards her child, placing a mother's kiss upon her forehead as her hands cupped Asteria's face with the gentleness only a mother knows.

"I went to place you will never go to, because I have taught you to be better and more powerful than me. Do not let misunderstanding and confusion weaken you, Asteria. You are not stronger for burying it, for speaking as though these are bygones. You are a child still, and I have lived several complete lives in the short time that I have actually existed. Hope and imagination will help you shape the future the way you want it to be."

Offline Asteria deWinter

• Mistress of Elements
  • Sith Mistress
« Reply #8 on: 11/16/15 06:23:15 »
As she gone quiet, Asteria could swear the silence chilling as only it could in the presence of ice, doubled by both of their existences in one space. Both lady deWinter harbored the same gift, naturally grown on them and part of them like on nobody Asteria had ever known. And yet, when her mother rose to her feet moving towards her, she felt a sense of warmth filling her heart. Little did it matter her words did not show the same warmth, the spoke the truth even as her mother leaned down to leave a kiss upon her forehead just as she used to.

Mother spoke of the place she'd been to more than once. A place she'd vanished to when her half-sister had been born, when she'd been taken by the Mandalorians and when the galaxy had thought her dead. She remained quiet, listening. Mother was so sure she'd never go there. Misunderstanding and confusion. Those things could weaken her. Asteria just listened now, taking in the first lesson she'd been given in years now from her most important teacher.

She was told she was a child and no words of protest came from her. Asteria merely accepted it was something Mother thought of her to be. The child inside her though would have protested that claim in a heartbeat but she'd been long since silenced that childish girl.

And then at last, mother welcomed hope and imagination as tools to shape her future. Asteria let out a quiet cold sigh, the true sign oh much her mother's words had effected her. Her element was still strongly bonded to her emotions. "I understand what you're saying, mother. I have not forsaken those two, just the parts that bring out that child on. I've lived a happy childhood. You've protected me a little too well, ever since the attack upon the mansion. The child in me dreams of safety, of her parents uniting and bringing back the love the home used to have. She must be quieted so I can shape my future." Not once she'd said those words out loud, to anyone. Asteria as she was as a child was far shielded from the galaxy than she'd thought it possible back then. She knew better that. Fairy tales were the trick, even fabricated to change the villains, as both of them had learned on Hoth.

"I only wish you find the strength you believe me to have, Mother. To not go to that place again." It was all she'd wished for her. There was a part of Asteria who still craved her mother's guidance and advice but more than that, she truly wished for her to never vanish there again.

Offline Shery deWinter

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 11/19/15 15:30:14 »
What could a mother do but quietly and sadly smile as her child laid some of her deepest wishes out? Wishes that could never be fulfilled. Shery and Lorcan, the golden couple, were a thing of the past. Their love had ended, and as had their life together as husband and wife, as partners in crime, as everything but parents to the offspring they had produced. Lorcan had been open about his regression to his younger years, drinking and womanizing away, giving little to no thoughts to the galaxy outside. Shery... Could not claim to have behaved differently, in her own way. She had tasted men and women and things that were neither, not all of which were even on the humanoid scale. But there was little need to elaborate on her hedonistic pleasures. Some things were not made for her children's ears, and they should never be either.

Yet the last request... The last request was one that had taken her by surprise. Gracefully, she sat herself down near Asteria, a delicate finger coming up to brush a stand of hair away from her daughter's face. "Asteria..." she exhaled, a breath above silence, a whisper that held more warmth than a sun.

And quickly, she rose from the seat, breaking what warmth and contact had been built a mere heartbeat ago. Asteria may have always longed to be more like her mother, but there was no denying that she had inherited the better parts of both of her parents, and now she could see Lorcan in those pale eyes, the Lorcan who had loved her and worshiped her as she had him.

"Your father once asked the same of me," she said at last, breaking a long and thick silence, "when you were toddlers still, when there were only four of you. When we thought we would outlive everyone and everything around us and build something even Celestials would envy."

She remembered that conversation still. The only conversation that had been harder than the one they had at the time of their break up.

"For a moment, for a single breath of air, I thought such a thing was possible," she turned now, looking at Asteria again. The coldness did not return to her eyes, did not return to her expressions, or her voice, "but you ask for something I will never be able to give you, or anyone else."

Offline Asteria deWinter

• Mistress of Elements
  • Sith Mistress
« Reply #10 on: 11/20/15 03:42:28 »
She glanced up to her mother, Asteria took in the sight of her as she once again sat down beside her, brushing a highlight away from her face as she called her name, only to stand again. Father had asked the same of her once. The younger brunette remained quiet now, noticing though a difference between the conversation Mother had with him and what she'd said. Still, she let her finish, talking about having been asked to find that strength years ago.

Something she would never able to give...

Asteria smiled when her mother then. "I did say I ask of you that, Mother," she offered. "I wish it for you. I know full well some wishes are just that." Her smile remained on her face then, even as she moved her hands to the tray, preparing her tea quietly, pouring it into the cup, adding honey and just a bit of lemon. She steered them slowly. "Will you come to the event?" She asked then, gently pulling out the little spoon and placing it on the plate, without so much a sound.

"It will the first event such as this since changes. It would be quite an honor for us to welcome lady deWinter," she offered and picked up her tea, taking a sip before putting the cup down and looking up at her, offering a curt smile this time. The subject they'd just been on needn't have been dwelling upon any longer. They'd said their piece on the matter. Asteria was curious whether or not her mother would attend the sacrifice now that she was here.