Author Topic: Atrocities [Arya Re-Boot]  (Read 488 times)

Offline Ms Cognito

Atrocities [Arya Re-Boot]
« on: 10/17/13 11:29:49 »
In a galaxy seemingly at peace, Naboo seemed to be enduring civil issues. 

Five years ago, an older, (and formerly kinder) monarch came to power, King Rekol.  He was liked by the people due to his inclusion of the indigenous Gungans into his court as a way to improve relations with the aquatic race.  The Naboo people had also seen a rise in commercial prosperity due to King Rekol's loosening up of trade restrictions and allowing for Gungans to sell their own wares in the major cities and set their own rates at with only a small percentage of the profits going to Theed.

King Rekol's beloved wife, Queen Persephone, did major work on her own as a goodwill ambassador between the Gungan people and the Naboo.  She helped to fund the first integrated gungan-humanoid general studies academies in Theed and as a professor she would teach classes at the academy.  The Queen loved being among both races and was very much adored by the people for her contributions.  Naboo was experiencing a golden period.  Growth,  Happiness and Peace.

That all changed after the murder of the Queen.  Royal guards rushed to the Queen's bed chambers at the sound of a ear piercing shriek followed by silence.  A shadowy figure stood poised over the lifeless, blood-covered queen.  The figure swiftly pierced through guards one by one with an electropole as he dodged rifle laser bolts.  As he left the dead behind, the figure deliberately dropped a datapad with a fake gungan correspondence note stating the desire for the Gungans to take advantage of their good standing with the Naboo to take over the planet.  The false note's recipient was King Rekol's gungan ambassador.  Kelon had tried to steal Persephone from Rekol because he felt like Rekol didn't deserve her.  Persephone denied Kelon on multiple occasions.   Kelon had finally had enough denials.  He wanted to not only destroy the woman he could not have, but he wanted to destroy the kingdom he could not have.  Kelon knew the way to obliterate the peace of Naboo was to cause a rift between the Gungans and the Naboo.  Kelon framed the Gungans for Persephone's death. Kelon swiftly left Theed.

King Rekol's discovery of the murder of his Queen by the Gungans caused him immense pain.  He lashed out in anger.  Immediately, he ordered all resident and visiting Gungans in the palace to held for questioning and exiled from Theed afterwards.  He closed the academy.   Soon, all Gungans in all of Naboo's cities were forced to leave indefinitely or be shot on sight.   Rekol placed a ban on Gungan wares and barred any non-Gungan from doing business or seeing the aquatic race.

After three years without his wife, King Rekol had gone mad.  He barricaded himself in the palace with an army of guards protecting the palace from what he saw as the ongoing Gungan threat to the civilized Naboo.  The major cities and landmarks were placed with armed guards to ward off any sighting of Gungans.   During the time of insanity,  Citizens against the current treatment of Gungans started to fight back.  They created underground markets for the Gungans to sell their wares off-world.  The Citizens started a war.   They began to kill the guards placed at landmarks and small anti-Gungan zones first. They were growing ballsy-er as they took down more and more of Rekol's forces.   King Rekol took to the HoloNet to spread a message that anyone caught aiding the Pro-Gungan movement would be severely punished.  He ordered aerial units to route out the "terrorist rebels" and end them.   Little did Rekol know, the Resistance as they now called themselves had stolen many starfighters with the help of sympathizers to the cause.  Rekol and Resistance forces began an aerial war.  Not stopping there, Rekol screamed for the mobilization of heavy land vehicles and aquatic ships.   Secondarily,  Rekol ordered submarine ships to dive down and destroy the "Gungan menace" in their cities once and for all.
« Last Edit: 10/17/13 11:49:02 by Ms Cognito »

Offline Ms Cognito

Re: Atrocities [Arya Re-Boot]
« Reply #1 on: 10/17/13 11:46:18 »

A Holo-Communication between Naboo Senator Palvos and one of the leaders of the Moena/Keren Resistance of Theed, Malida Cognito.  This takes place three years after King Rekol had gone mad.  The Gungans have abandoned their cities and have taken up arms against Rekol, his forces and his propaganda-driven loyalists.  A barbaric gas attack aimmed at all three of the major cities of Naboo has killed thousands of average citizens and rebels alike.

(*)-Beginning of Transmission-(*)

"It has been a trying time indeed, the king's crusade has become seemingly more about us than the gungans, Senator Palvos." -Malida Cognito

"Malida, I have been working feverishly here on Coruscant trying to get some outside help to you guys." -Senator Corinn Palvos

"I am glad to know you're alive and trying to help us in the Senate.  It's been far too long since we've heard any good news.  We feared Rekol may have killed his entire cabinet including you." -MC

"I managed to escape with the rest of the cabinet in the dark of the night.  That was right before Rekol ordered the palace be barricaded.   We saw how events were unfolding and we escaped to Coruscant.  Rekol warned us as we exited the planet's atmosphere that we would be killed if we returned to the planet." -SCP

"I have contacted you tonight from a remote location to inform you that the situation has grown even worse.  Reports delivered to me from Theed, Keren and Moena from survivors--" -MC

"Survivors? What has happened, Malida?"-SCP

"Corinn,  I'm sorry to have to be the first to tell you that King Rekol has systematically gassed Keren and Moena as well as his own stronghold of Theed.  Thousands of casualties are being reported...rebels and average citizens alike.  This happened last night.  Resistance forces are scrambling to regroup points across the planet.  My husband, Torin, is leading a team that will work to clean-up the dead and rescue the ones still able to be saved." -MC

"Malida!  This is beyond insanity.   I need a moment to think on this.   Myself and the rest of the former Court are going to look the other way.  If you can stop him before you and I  reconvene in a week's time,  I give you my blessing to use whatever methods you deem necessary to end Rekol's madness.  Keep fighting the good fight, Malida." -SCP

"Thank you for your words.  Keep fighting the good fight, Corinn." -MC
(*)-End of Transmission-(*)

Early Evening-Remote Mountain Base
Muffled bouts of back and forth laser fire could be heard outside of the darkened bunker as Malida shut off the HoloComm.  Malida climbed the two flights of stairs while red klaxon beacons spun and blared their intruder siren.  She exited the bunker with two guards with her.  Their carbine rifles were at the ready  Malida began rapidly running from cover to cover pegging Rekol's forces with the guards that joined her.  An invader killed one of the guards that had grown too hotheaded and forgotten to duck down, breath, wait for a lull in fire, then start firing again.   Half an hour later, Malida and a contingent of base forces had fought off the invaders.   She ordered two groups of four militia men and women to spread out and go hunting across the forest below, above and around their mountain base for potential scouts and raiding parties.  As soon as the groups began their mission, Malida returned to the Command Center and attempted to hail Torin.
« Last Edit: 10/17/13 11:55:27 by Ms Cognito »

Offline Ms Cognito

« Reply #2 on: 10/17/13 12:04:18 »
Early Evening-Keren's Main Street
Chemicals from the attack still lingered heavily in the streets around Keren's main drag like a fog of yellowish green smoke.  Visibility was next to nil.  A Face mask re-breather clad squadron of twenty men led by Torin Cognito carefully walked the grey-teal cobblestone streets armed with rifles at the ready for any resistance as they worked on the rescue/clean-up.    Their rifles had flashlights and infrared scopes on them to see the bodies through the chemicals.  They looked for any sign of movement both from the bodies on the ground and all around them from potential enemies.

Torin had ordered a "non-verbal communication unless under duress" command at the mission's start.  He turned to his crews and gestured for them to garrison in nearby buildings for the night.  He typed out a message to the other members via secured network update capable datapad that they would continue the mission at first light and to assign guards to patrol their locations through the night.  Torin had felt his small, circular CommLink device buzz on his belt.  Turning the device off for the night, Torin surveyed the boarded up and now guarded dining room of former citizen.  He stepped toward the six person table and slid a holodevice into the middle of the table.  A holographic map of the Keren rose up from the device.  Torin analyzed their current location and planned the recovery mission further.   He pinched the holo display to zoom it out to the regional display.   Maneuvering his fingers towards Moena, Torin saw little boxes pop up from various points around Moena with little scenes moving around in them.   The scenes were vid feeds from Resistance workers' helmets.   Noting their evening ceasefire, Torin moved his fingers across the planetary view of the map to Theed.  Spreading his fingers outward, He zoomed in and peered over the 3D model of the Alta Vista Academy.

'Arya, hunny, I hope you break radio silence soon.  It's been too long.  Your mother and I are worried.'  Torin thought to himself as he continued to look at the hologram of the building.

A box popped up over northwest corner of the academy.  It was a security feed from inside the academy.  A Rekol force uniform clad Arya waved at the camera, smiled weakly and put a datapad notice up to the camera. The note read:
"Father, I love you.  All is well.  I just sent you a datapad message via the Resistance Secured Network."

Torin looked down at the small, slowly flashing green light in the top left corner of his datapad. He tapped the screen and opened the message: 
"I patched into the security camera to tell you that all is as well as it can be.  The journey to Theed was an easy one.  I am working on a plan to sneak fourteen politicians out of the academy.  This will not be an easy feat considering our proximity to the guard laced front steps of the Palace.  I might need you to call in a heavy infantry distraction.  A direct line of rocket fire on the palace might do the trick.  Let your people know to lead the guards away from the front plaza and steps. If I can get us to one of Rekol's interplanetary transport vehicles,  I have a forged datapad with a set of invasion force orders.  The orders will get the students to your position in Keren.  I am staying in Theed after the truck is secured.  I cannot tell you why, yet.  Just know that I love you and that mom doesn't know what I am doing."
« Last Edit: 10/17/13 12:12:42 by Ms Cognito »

Offline Ms Cognito

« Reply #3 on: 10/17/13 12:09:16 »
Midnight, Alta Vista Academy, Theed
The Alta Vista Academy had once served as a beacon of unity as well as knowledge during the Golden period.  Now, it's facade barely remained.  It's broken, faded and discolored marquee laid over laser and blast burned columns and building walls.  This was the case on many other buildings across the city.  Guards patrolled the academy more frequently due to it's close proximity to the palace.   That fact made Arya's mission more difficult.  Malida didn't want her twenty year old daughter going to the most dangerous city on the planet.   Arya had knowledge that some of her young political science friends still remained at the academy in hiding.  She insisted to her mother and father that the current Court was safe, but the potential future rulers and advisers were at risk of discovery and being murdered by the King's forces.   

It had been four days since Arya had infiltrated the city using a newly dead guard's disguise, then she breached the pitiful looking interior of the academy.  The inside hadn't fair much better than the exterior.  Dead students and professors as well as Rekol's forces dotted the halls and some of the non-blocked up lecture centers.   Regrouping with her friends was the easy part.   She now had to figure out how to get fourteen people to safety.   Over the past few days, the young politicians had had some time on their hands.  They'd been attempting to draft a new set of laws for the future ruler or rulers.   A Naboo Code of Laws that would combat against a ruler going rogue like Rekol and fulfilling their own self-serving agenda.   It would also serve to allow the people to more easily communicate with the ruler about how they felt about decisions made.

"Friends, gather around please." Arya said authoritatively. 

She watched them leave their work on the new Code of Laws and slowly gather around her.

"I know it's been a stressful time these past five years.   I would have reached you sooner than this, but I was off-world in a bacta tank healing from extreme wounds I sustained after a run in with the King's brother, Kelon.  He had a squad of heavies at his disposal.  I am merely a pistol wielding adviser to the Senator.  I crossed paths with him on Coruscant on the way to meet with Senator Palvos.  His troopers nearly blew me to smithereens.    Palvos reached me with a contingent of her guards and removed my nearly lifeless body from the Senate Building's main plaza.  I went comatose because of my injuries.  I came back and am telling you this because I may have found a motive behind this entire war:  Kelon.  I wondered when I saw him in Coruscant on the day of Queen Persephone's funeral rather than at the service.  He knew me from my time hanging around Senator Palvos in the palace.  He looked frantic and angered like he'd just been caught."

Arya moved towards the currently offline terminal.  Tapping a few onscreen buttons, a holoterminal in the center of the circular room engaged.  Arya uploaded her holographic mock-up of the immediate area with her plans that coincided with the Rekol Troop Deployment Schedule.   Troop transporters moved on and off screen repeatedly as the time stamp went forward, stopped and looped.  Arya went onto explain her plan of getting them to safety.

"I have learned from the schedule that three transports collectively carrying a large force to the Otoh Gungah Lake region.  They are going out before dawn tomorrow morning. We are to wait until they leave to move on the hangar which will be mostly empty of troops." 

She peered over to a quite muscular, fierce looking red Twi'lek female in a tattered business suit.

"Bara Dis, you look the fiercest out of everyone here.  You also look to be my build.  Take this Rekol force uniform from me.  You're posing as the transport pilot with the forged documentation and travel orders.  The orders state that the troopers are to be picked up from a custom rally point outside of this academy.  I will use that moment that you're gathering the shuttle to signal the distraction.   Bara Dis, do not forget to use the forged documents when you get stopped at the checkpoints at the edge of the city and shortly outside of Keren."   

The holodisplay moved out from Theed to show the countryside and kilometer/mile distance to Keren.

Arya eyed the rest of the young politicians, who looked a mixture of terrified and ready to leave. 

"There should be a fully stocked reserve weapons locker inside the transport.  Arm yourselves as soon as you reach the inside and the door closes.  If shit goes south, I want you to watch each other's backs and make sure you all get out of Theed and to Keren.  I know I haven't mentioned my part in your escape...that is for the best.  If you get captured, I don't want them knowing where I am going.  All I want you to focus on is your part after you get onto the transport. Remember Bara Dis, you move out right after dawn."

Arya smiled as their faces grew a bit more confident.  She dismissed them from the briefing as she shutdown the holoterminal.
« Last Edit: 10/17/13 12:12:08 by Ms Cognito »

Offline Ms Cognito

« Reply #4 on: 10/17/13 12:11:30 »
Midnight, Moena and Keren
After three weeks of radio silence and radar drop-off, a surprise movement in the Naboo Civil War from the Gungans began.   Ten squads of fifty comprised a rapidly moving calculated invasion force of Gungan foot soldiers.  They were armed with pilfered carbine rifles, rocket launchers and throwables entered the cities of Moena and Keren.  They wore donated gas masks from the Resistance.  Swiftly and without words, the soldiers began their takeovers.  Rekol's troops were caught partially unaware.  Nightwatch patrollers were in the midst of a shift change when the Gungans opened fire on the various camps with rockets launched first followed by cover-to-cover rifle fire. 

Torin was torn from sleep by the battle sounds outside.  Himself and his fellow troopers sprang to the ready.   Torin's night-watch officer burst through the door to a sight of quickly prepping troops.  He explained the extraordinary situation to the squad.   

Torin turned to the officer and smiled widely,  "It's been three weeks since the Gungans even made contact with us.  I was beginning to wonder if they'd gone back into hiding or somehow left the planet.  They seem to have regained their backbone and their spirit.  Shall we assist them, ladies and gents?"

A resounding 'Ooo-rah' rang out in response to his question.   Before his squad headed out,  Torin contacted the other squads in Moena and Keren, then he told Malida.
« Last Edit: 10/17/13 12:13:52 by Ms Cognito »

Offline Ms Cognito

« Reply #5 on: 10/17/13 12:16:51 »
2AM, Alta-Vista Academy, Theed

A series of powerful, loud explosions erupted at the academy.  Arya had stayed awake going over plans for her role.  She attempted to wake the students, but as she took one step towards them, pebbles followed by dislodged chunks of the academy started falling in on the group.   Arya watched in horror as the young politicians were crushed to death under the rubble.  A bright moonlight sky was framed by large, jagged, burning hole in the roof.  Fiery chunks fell into the room causing a smoke to fill the area.  Arya attempted to exit into the main hall, but found the doorway was blocked by fallen roof.   A couple jet-packed hunters in shiny chrome armor dropped in next to Arya.  Before she could react,  one of the hunters pointed their forearm in her direction and a blue stun blast caused her to collapse instantly.  She was grabbed by the second hunter and the pair flew out of the academy with an unconscious Arya in tow.