Author Topic: New Dawn (TR/Invite)  (Read 804 times)

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
New Dawn (TR/Invite)
« on: 08/28/13 16:57:46 »
Triumvirate Chambers
Republic High Command
Coronet, Corellia

"Thank you for the report, Master Matteo.  Before we release you to attend to other duties, there is one more question we'd ask of you."

The Jedi Master, dressed in official Jedi Robes for the first time in several months, nodded his head slightly.  In truth, he merely wanted the meeting to be over as soon as possible.  "I will answer what I can, sir."

The Republic Chief of State and member of the Triumvirate that ultimately guided Republic affairs offered a slight smile.  "We have all noted the very critical nature of your reports.  Specifically, your criticisms of our actions or, by your account, lack of actions in our present conflict against those that seek to destroy the galaxy."

Marcello exhaled softly.  "Sir, my reports were not intended to insult.  They were intended to be critical to the point of being constructive.  We have a very real problem, and it [starts with the complete misconception that our enemies merely want to just destroy the galaxy.  I think it's safe to say that they've demonstrated their ability to do this time and time again, yet we remain."

It was the Supreme Commander of the Republic military that spoke next.  "They have stated this is their purpose on numerous occasions.  I understand you have yet to suffer at the hands of the Sith or the Empire, but that does not make you an authority on their views and ideals."

Marcello immediately fired back.  "No, my extensive and continuous training as a member of the Jedi Order grants me that.  Do you need to be shot in the neck to know that it has the potential to end your life?"  The Jedi did not afford any of the members of the Triumvirate a chance to respond.  "No, I did not think so."

The Chief of State quickly reigned the conversation back in with his usual tact before the Supreme Commander engaged in a fruitless argument with the Jedi.  "I think...we can all appreciate your thoughts and opinions on our situation, Master Matteo.  The question is what to do about it."

Marcello opened his mouth to respond, but the Chief of State stopped him cold with a subtle raise of his hand.

"And we have to a..."  Briefly, the Chief of State glanced at the Supreme Commander who clearly did not support the plan.  "...consensus.  We want you to equip, train, and lead a task force of your choosing.  Your mission directives will come straight from the Triumvirate, and you will be accountable to us only.  Though you may use Republic technology, your unit will not officially exist on any manifest."

Marcello rolled his eyes.  "Yeah and just how do you propose to manage that little secret?"

The Chief of State nodded to the Supreme Commander who produced a datapad for Marcello to review.  "Five new MC-90 Cruisers are scheduled to come out of the yards at Ord Trasi within the month.  Whomever you so choose to select will be responsible for, effectively, defecting to an unknown party once the ships leave the dock yard.  You will, of course, still have to come by some method of re-fitting your vessels when necessary."

This time, Marcello outright laughed.  "Who the hell is going to refit five MC-90 cruisers that is not already affiliated with the Republic?  Specifically, who is going to do that without causing a whole pile of shit?"

The Supreme Commander smiled.  "That would be your problem, Master Matteo.  We anticipate you may need to take action that...shall we say, would be questionable under our laws?"

The Chief of State immediately chimed in.  "Marcello...  We understand what we are asking you to do is difficult.  Unfortunately, we cannot afford any aggressive, overt action against the Empire at this time - it would ruin us."

Marcello didn't think for even half a second.  "You are all fools.  You think that funding some private mercenary war is the way to do this?  Do you think that is what will inspire the rest of the galaxy to raise up and help us fight our enemies?  You make me sick."  Coming to his feet, the Jedi Master immediately began walking towards the door.  "I am insulted that you would even ask me to undertake such a venture.  Something that completely and utterly violates the values not only of the Republic but those of the Jedi Order."  Pausing at the door, he added parting words.  "My comments were meant to inspire the three of you to get off your ass, not sacrifice the good name and virtue of thousands that would only end up ostracized by everyone they know."

The moment Marcello put his hand to the reader to open the door, the Head of the Senate stood and spoke to him in her typical melodic voice.  "Marcello, wait.  It was only a test.  We merely had to be sure that you were the right person for what we really needed.  When you came to us, you brought a number of followers that believed in your ways.  We accepted you with open arms and then failed to uphold our end of the bargain.  We've spoken to the Grand Master, and she has agreed to our proposal."

Marcello turned with a curious brow.  "Can someone please get to the point."

"We do want to grant you command of a new task force, Marcello.  Our other assets are fully engaged in defending what we presently hold, and the Supreme Commander understands that he has his work cut out for him in this regard.  Your forces will be accountable jointly to this body and that of the Jedi Council, and the Jedi Council has agreed to permit any Jedi that so chooses to join your Task Force.  We need you to be the sword that we can ill-afford to muster out of our own numbers at this point.  Will you be that weapon?"

Marcello pursed his lips in thought briefly before clasping his hands behind his back.  "I want to select my command staff, and I don't want any suggestions.  I will report to who I need to report to, but the ultimate tactical decision making ability needs to rest with me."

The three members of the Triumvirate all nodded but only the Chief of State spoke.  "Very well.  Information will be dispatched to your personal datapad within the hour."

"There is plenty you can do here, though.  Any businesses or organizations that do business with known Sith and Imperial contacts need to be shut down...immediately.  If they reside within our jurisdiction, the process of seizing them under government authority should be no issue at all.  The people we fight, likewise, should be denied access to any Republic planet at all access points.  You have to paint the enemy as the enemy.  You can't let them continue running a shelter for homeless kids and being propped up like some God-send."

The Chief of State offered a nod of his head.  "This, we can do.  Now then, Master Matteo.  I do believe you have quite a bit of work to do."

Marcello nodded his head slightly and swiftly exited the chambers.  He didn't know what the hell had just happened, but he wasn't going to question a good thing.  Withdrawing his datapad, he quickly tapped out a message to his friend Brumhilda, asking her to meet him at a cafe near Republic High Command in the city of Coronet.  As always, she was free to bring her son, and he knew that she usually did anyways.  He followed that up with a brief message to the young girl he'd met a week or so ago, Maybe Williams.  Hopefully by now she, at least, knew how to use a weapon.

-------------
Corellia Republic Military Garrison

The Colonel read the orders in triplicate before sending for his Adjutant.  When the man entered, the Colonel handed over the orders.  "I want the stand-by company mustered and present for a briefing before the end of the day.  Cancel all leave and liberty for First Battalion."

"Yes sir."
Justice is Cold by Nature

Offline Maybe Williams

Re: New Dawn (TR/Invite)
« Reply #1 on: 08/28/13 17:33:34 »
Maybe entered the tiny cafe, trying to think through recent events. Marcello had said that she could expect the odd task, and she presumed this was one of them. She had no desire to turn down the Jedi Master, but she was more hopeful that instead it might be some paid work. Force knew she needed the money. Especially since her most recent venture had gone so badly wrong.

Which was painfully obvious from her appearance. She was dressed in her usual favourite style of clothes, skin tight pants, a vest top, a leather jacket, but over it, she had a hi-vis workman's vest and a slightly skewered hard helmet. And oddly, she appeared to be limping, which upon closer inspection became evident was because she was missing one of her usual stiletto boots.

She sat down in a bit of a breathless slump, next to Marcello, and held up a hand.
"Okay.... before you say anything..." She said, preparing her story, which once again in grand Maybe tradition was entirely true. "Totally not my fault, okay?" She assured him. "Look, there was this construction site, they needed somebody to move a few bags of cement, I thought, hey I can do that..." She said with a shrug. "Anyway, turns out, cement bags are pretty darned heavy and I'm... uh... well...." Maybe was a skinny girl, and Marcello knew what her physical fitness was like. From that it was easy to guess the rest. "...I'm kinda weak... and I couldn't budge them. But I tried all day! Luckily, they paid up front, and I thought, well, I still completed my shift right? So what if I didn't even move one? So I was going to walk out with the credits, and they got kinda annoyed, so I decided, screw it, I earned that money! And ran for it. Except, well, they blocked the exit, so I ran through the construction site, and..." She paused, and looked up at Marcello. "Did you know construction sites get, like, really muddy? Because I didn't know that!" She explained, and indeed, mud seemed splattered all up her legs and all over her feet. "Anyway, turns out, these boots and mud don't really mix, and I got kinda stuck. And they got the money off me and left me there to teach me a lesson." She explained, with a slight eye roll, showing she had in fact learned nothing. "But I got out! Lost one of my boots though... Wonder if I can go back and get it after dark..." She pondered thoughtfully, although obviously that idea was just a recipe for further disaster.

And then she actually remembered why she was there.
"Wait. Sorry. Did you want me for something?" She asked, with a smile.
« Last Edit: 08/28/13 18:07:08 by Maybe Williams »

Offline Brumhilda deWinter

• What am I?
    • Star Wars: Descension
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/13 01:30:58 »
Corellia. A planet that was enough to send shivers of fear through her body, even if she reasoned with herself more than once that not only was it safe now, it had been safe for years. Her previous encounters on the planet had left deep scars on her soul, scars that she was at present doing her best to simply ignore.

Brumhilda deWinter had arrived from Ossus, after a brief stop in the Core to give her son to his uncle and godfather, Merlin. Whatever this meeting was about, she imagined it either wasn't going to be strictly limited to friendly chatter, or that things would happen to ensure that it did not. After recent happenings on Thyton, she was even more certain than before that she wanted Dante nowhere near those happenings, and knew that if there had been a truly save place in the whole Galaxy, that was where she'd send him.

For now though, all the child could do was her best. The survivors of Ossus seemed to be doing much better now that she was in charge of the voluntary medical center and actually had sufficient back up in terms of resources and staff. She was even getting enough good and sleep, causing the black under her eyes to vanish almost entirely, and her body to slightly fill out again. Yet with these changes that implied an improving health came another danger; more than before, she looked like her mother now, and she found herself needing to walk around with a cloak and hood once more, since scared or fanatic people rarely seemed to notice the five inch difference between the two.

Entering the cafe, Brumhilda kept her hood on and scanned the area, seeing Marcello and another woman who seemed to be awfully chatty. Not wanting to disturb, she walked herself to the bar and ordered a tall glass of blue milk with ice, ignoring the server's questioning look.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #3 on: 09/02/13 16:06:37 »
Marcello...wasn't really surprised by how ridiculous Maybe's entrance and subsequent explanation of said entrance.  Through her lightning-fast spiel, the Jedi Master remained largely impassive.  When she'd finally paused to take a breath, he merely shook his head.  "A little slow to pick up on the fact your current style of living is less than advantageous for a number of parties, are you?"  Managing something of a dismissive smile, the Jedi Master's dark blue gaze diverted briefly as he heard the door chime signaling the arrival of another individual.  Given the fact that it was a fairly busy cafe, the sound was more or less continuous.  This time, however, it was accompanied by a small inkling of recognition through the Force.  "Wait here, Maybe."

Coming to his feet, Marcello casually left Maybe to herself.  In a matter of seconds, he had crossed the modest-sized cafe and reached the individual he had just seen enter.  Taking a seat next to the newcomer, Marcello kept his gaze forward as he spoke openly.  "There is definitely a certain type of person that walks around in a cloak with the hood drawn these days."  It was hardly an uncommon appearance as most that could ill-afford varying degrees of clothing typically wore something like a cloak for sake of ease and relative affordability.  Plus it doubled as a blanket for them.  "At least, not that would be found in here having a drink."  Turning his head finally, Marcello could just barely make out faint features that were familiar to him.  "Long time no see, green eyes."

Without waiting for a response, Marcello stood from his seat after paying for whatever Brumhilda had ordered.  "Please join my associate and I when you're ready."  Turning, he walked away from the woman, having not really seen enough of her to note any great change in her physical stature.  Returning to Maybe and the table, Marcello resumed his seat.  "Apologies.  One of my friends arrived.  There is one thing you absolutely must not do and that is freak out."  Regardless of whether or not Maybe was a Jedi, she'd been spending enough time around them to know about the certain 'high priority' undesirables.  Of which, Brumhilda looked a great deal like one.  "And don't let your eyes lead you to jump to conclusions."

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #4 on: 09/04/13 16:50:32 »
Maybe looked a little offended when Marcello criticised her current lifestyle. It wasn't like she had a choice, after all. She'd explained that to him many times. She needed money, so she took whatever jobs she could get her hands on. Sure, sometimes she got unlucky and they didn't exactly go very well., but that was just part of life, wasn't it? She was sure that this argument would be easier to make if she wasn't currently missing a hood.

Maybe listened to Marcello's warning, but he needn't have bothered. Unless she'd appeared on celebrity holovision, Maybe was unlikely to have heard of anybody, and the odds of her recognising who Brumhilda resembled were very slim indeed.
"Okay, sure." Maybe nodded, which wasn't really the most assuring thing she could say, but felt true.

• What am I?
« Reply #5 on: 09/04/13 17:29:42 »
Another person might have questioned how the tall blonde guy knew who she was, where she was sitting, and what it was about, despite her concealent. But another person was unlikely to share the girl's history, and if they did, they would probably be better trained. Brumhilda didn't know the first steps to concealing her presence within the Force, leaving her constantly and regularly exposed not only to mere recognition by allies, but to danger by those who were anything but.

Under the hood that covered her face, she could feel her eyes almost come to light at the  mention of green eyes, and she closed them, counting slowly until she could sense the glow diminish. Her problems, for the moment, were personal, and therefore, her own. There was no sense in burning others with her inability to control her body and the changes that happened to it even more than before.

Once her milk arrived, her little hand came from beneath the cloak and took it. In four long gulps she had emptied it, leaving not a trail on her lip. Once, it had been her cocktail of choice, her  sweet happiness. Once, when life was more naive, and there were reasons to smile in the morning.

Looking over to where Marcello had re-taken his seat, she rose from the bar chair and made her way over to them, just in time to hear the end of his warning. How she loathed it when such precautions had to be taken. How many years was it now that she longed for the day in which they would no longer be a necessity?

Keeping her back to the rest of the establishment, Brumhilda sat herself down and removed the hood, her lips pressed together in near anxiety.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #6 on: 09/09/13 16:36:40 »
As Brumhilda pulled back the hood of her cloak, Marcello's dark blue eyes lingered on her features for a moment.  Indeed she had changed.  She seemed much healthier than he recalled during their first encounter on Firrerre.  In fact, as her body had begun to fill out once more, she looked even more attractive than she already had.  For the moment, the Jedi Master kept his mouth shut.  He knew she was sensitive about the matter, not that he understood why.  Looking like Shery deWinter, after all, wasn't really a bad thing.

Offering his fellow Jedi a nod, Marcello leaned back and addressed both women at the table simply.  "The Council has tasked me with the duty of creating a new task force to combat the Sith.  The days of waiting for them to strike at our homes are done.  You both possess...unique talents that I would like to benefit from."  Pausing only briefly, Marcello concluded his comments.  "It could mean extended periods away from home, but you are encouraged to bring any family with you should you so desire.  Both of you would be an integral part of the operation.  I assure you that your voice and talent would never be put to waste."

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #7 on: 09/29/13 06:24:55 »
Maybe looked over to the new arrival, but as expected, any familiarity was lost on her. While she did have the nagging feeling she'd seen the girl somewhere before, Maybe just assumed it had been around the city, or on one of her many, many, many various jobs she'd done, and she totally ignored it. Instead, she just gave a sheepish little wave, hoping that blind confidence would help mask the total state she was in from events earlier in the day.

It did, at least, remind her to remove the hard helmet, which she left awkwardly on the table.

She listened to Marcello's proposal, but reacted, wide eyed, with surprise when he commented that they both possessed unique talents.
"I do?" She asked in surprise. She'd never been told she had a unique talent before. A unique lack of talent, perhaps. But not a unique talent. She quickly shook this off though as not the ideal response. "I mean, yeah, I do!" She added cheerfully.

She then paused.

"Uh, which one, though? Out of interest?" She asked, because, really, she had no idea quite what he meant...

• What am I?
« Reply #8 on: 10/01/13 15:12:50 »
She made no response to the waving girl by the table. For all she knew, by the Force, everything about her screamed too young to be involved in this business, though as far as Brumhilda could judge by appearances, she'd existed for a sufficient amount of years. Whatever it was Marcello had up his sleeve, she sincerely hoped it would be nothing deadly.

Which, of course, meant that moments later, he just told the both of them that it was, in many other words.

Combating the Sith... It was suicide. Whatever the unique talents the other girl had, all of Brumhilda's were invested in the abilities of fixing up bodies that had gone broken. She was no politician, not great iwth words, and an utter disaster during actual combat.

Glancing sideways, Brumhilda took another good look at the girl.

No, she decided, she would not be bringing her little boy along. Though the thought of it caught her by surprise; had her mind just said yes, she would join this crazy mission? Sighing, she began to fiddle with her fingers while the other girl spoke, her words giving away just precicely how young she really was in mind.

Her eyes came to rest directly on Marcello's face now, and her own face was hard as she asked him the only question she possibly could. A question that held many more questions within it than she could possibly ask one by one. A question that came out so broken that she was surprised she'd even asked it the way she had. A question tht conveyed all her fears.

"Why?"

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #9 on: 10/02/13 13:44:29 »
Marcello's dark blue eyes focused in on Maybe, and it took him a great deal of effort not to roll them.  A part of him still felt that the girl was not ready...perhaps she never would be.  However, a larger part of him recognized that they needed all the help they could possibly get.  Now was not the time to be selective on who was revealed the truth of their...connection to the galaxy.  "The ones that you have not yet learned, Maybe.  The ones that myself and Brumhilda are going to teach you."  Silently, the Jedi Master spoke directly into Maybe's mind.  You possess an affinity for manipulating the Force.  If you ever take a moment to quiet your mind and allow the galaxy to speak to you, you will know it to be true.  You have a responsibility to maintain the balance and protect the galaxy.  We can discuss it more later in private.

Turning to Brumhilda, Marcello did not bother to smile.  Her very morose outlook on life was understandable and it mirrored his own former views.  "Because it is our duty, Brumhilda.  The alternative is we continue to do a whole lot of nothing.  Allow every world to suffer the same fate as Coruscant."  To both of them, he iterated his earlier comments.  "This is dangerous, very.  Such is the reality of our lives.  I will execute this on my own if necessary, but I would prefer to have those around me that really know and understand what it is we are fighting for."

Offline Maybe Williams

« Reply #10 on: 10/05/13 13:10:53 »
Maybe shifted a little at being told it was skills she was yet to learn. That didn't really sound helpful. But then she heard the voice ringing through her head, and she sat for a moment, a little stunned and puzzled. Did he just say that she could be a Jedi? Had she understood right? Maybe was usually perfectly accepting that she could do any job (and the result was usual whatever disastrous mess she usually got herself in to), but she had never even considered a Jedi. The image of her running around the galaxy swinging a lightsaber seemed ridiculous. And in those robes? That, at least, wasn't happening.

She looked at Marcello, puzzled, when he outlined what he needed. She still didn't understand why he'd picked her. Oh, she didn't mind of course. It was a good thing, she considered, she had a job! But 'dangerous' and 'very' were not words she liked, nor did she like 'reality of our lives'.

"Uh, I don't.... really understand what we're fighting for. I mean, I.... don't really do this kinda stuff on a regular basis." Maybe pointed out in response to his comment about needing those that really knew what the fight was for, before quickly amending. "I mean, sure, I could, I bet I'd be good at it..." Just like she always assumed she'd be good at everything else. "Just... this sounds... kinda.... big. I've not really done... big... before." She tried to explain.

Offline Marcello Matteo

• Jedi Master
« Reply #11 on: 10/07/13 09:32:22 »
Marcello's dark blue gaze settled heavily upon Maybe.  While it probably looked as if he were about to frown, he managed to force a smile instead.  "The fact that you've learned nothing in your nearly two decades of life is irrelevant, for now.  You, at least, do not possess a warped view of reality."  Because she apparently had no view of reality.  It explained her continuously trying to do things that she knew good and damn well she was not capable of doing. 

Exhaling softly, Marcello reached out and lightly covered her small hand with his own large hand.  "It is time you stopped pretending to be skilled and actually take the time to develop some.  You've wasted your potential long enough."  Before Maybe could retort about the circumstances of her life and blah, blah, blah, the Jedi Master casually removed his hand from hers and made a dismissive motion.  "Whatever happened to you before this very moment is the past, learn from it but leave it where it is.  Today is the first day of the rest of your life.  Everything you do or don't do can and will have consequences for thousands, millions across the galaxy.  That is the reality of a life devoted to something greater, to giving everyone the chance to live in freedom...without the pressure of being forced to do things."

Leaning back, Marcello looked between the two women equally.  "This is why I can only ask for your help.  I will accept no man or woman that is not a volunteer."

------

Across the planet, the company of Republic soldiers previously dispatched from the Corellia garrison arrive in force at the Sacred Child Orphanage.  Each of the company's four platoons has been arrayed to cover a side of the building.  Near the front entrance, two men approach the doors.  One holds his weapon at a low ready while the other is armed only with a holstered pistol.  The Captain knocks loudly on the door.  This mission is not designed to be an outright takedown, but they've all know who owns this facility.  As a result, they refuse to take any chances.

While they wait, the Captain's datapad beeps softly.  Retrieving the device, he briefly scans the message.  Final orders have come in, the Republic has ordered the seizing of all business organizations within Republic space owned by any members of the deWinter, Centurion, and Starkiller families.  The Captain didn't understand the last until he recalled from some briefing or another that many of the deWinters and Starkillers were one in the same.  Sliding the datapad back into his pocket, he nodded to the Sergeant behind him.  "Issue orders for Alpha Platoon to prepare to breach."