Author Topic: Mai Hasagaiwa  (Read 486 times)

Offline Mai Hasagaiwa

Mai Hasagaiwa
« on: 08/07/10 19:01:58 »

General Information
Name: Mai Hasagaiwa

Profession:  Thief
Birthplanet: Elrood
Faction: None

Height: 5'7
Weight: 121
Eye Color: Green

Hair Color: Black
Body Shape:  Lithe, toned muscles
Skin Tone:  White
Distinguishing Marks: Scars all over her face, received in a prison fight.

Family
Mother:
Elaina Hasagaiwa
Father:
Mortimer Hasagaiwa (Deceased)

Skills:

Stealth, security, security subversion, electronics, electronic splicing, limited slicing, pick pocket, slieght of hand, social stealth, disguise, wilderness survival, tracking, free running, limited blaster training, violin.

Bio:
Dr. Obst's wall plaque glistened in the overhead lighting in the office.  It made the writing engraved in the gold really clear, denoting him as a certified therapist.  He considered all he had done to achieve this while he listened to his holo-recorded session with his patient Mai Hasagaiwa.  She had been seeing him for about a year, ever since she got of jail on probation and good behavior.  Seeing him weekly was part of her requirement until she got off probation.

”Just start at the beginning.  I want to know everything about you.”  His soft voice sounded strange to him when played back.

Mai chuckled before responding.  “The whole blame my parents for my problematic childhood thing?  Come on doctor.  You've got my file.  They gave you my file, right?”

“Yes, but I want it in your words.”  Dr. Obst insisted.

She sighed.  “Dad died when I was five.  Mom couldn't handle it.  She got really depressed and started acting strangely.”

“That's pretty hard, especially for such a young child.  How did you adapt?”  The holographic image of Dr. Obst sort of shifted at this point.

“I was five years old.  I didn't have to.  For me, he was just on a long deployment.  By the time I knew what was really going on, it didn't matter any more.”  Mai's image had her arms crossed, she clearly didn't like talking about all of this.

“It didn't matter that your father was dead?”  He asked, trying to as non-judgmental as possible.

Mai ignored this question.  “Mom just got weird.  She forced a lot of violin lessons on me, and tried really hard to turn me into a young lady.  What ever that was supposed to be.  I didn't care.  My grades were bad...”

Dr. Obst's hologram interrupted.  “At five?  In Kindergarten?”

“No,” Mai corrected.  “In all of it.  I never did well.  I got held back a couple of times.  Once in fifth grade and again in the seventh.  Mom was furious with me all the time.  When she wasn't out doing her book club thing, or going to socials, or other high society culture bull-crap, she was riding my ass.”

“So you ran away.”  Dr. Obst lead her.

“Yeah.  Joined a gang.  Busted a few convenient stores.  Sold some spice.  Spent some time in Juvie.” Mai waved her hand like she was hurrying someone along.  “I busted out of there, rejoined the gang...

Dr. Obst interrupted again.  “Hold on, slowdown a little bit.  How old were you when all this happening?”

“I ran away at fifteen.”

“My word.”  He replied.

It was hard to tell, but Mai rolled her eyes at this point.  “I stayed in the projects.  There were always couches to stay on.”

“For sexual favors?”  He asked.

“Sometimes.”  She added.

“How did that make you feel?”  Dr. Obst leaned forward in the hologram.

“It was better than going home. Anyway, I was sent to juvie when I was sixteen.  I broke out a few months later.”

“How did your mother react to all of this?”  Dr. Obst interjected again.

It took the hologram of Mai a moment to respond.  “I didn't really care.  She bitched, but I didn't pay much attention.  What did I care?  I was going to a lock up.”

“Surely this must have been hard.” Dr. Obst asked.

“Have you ever had to give sexual favors just to get food to eat, doctor?  Court was ice cream and rainbows.”

Dr. Obst cocked his head to the side. “But you just said...”

Mai just kept on talking.  “I just went through with it.  I was already thinking about escape when the first pair of handcuffs hit my wrists.  A few months later I kicked that fat guard in the balls.  What was his name?”  Mai looked up and thought for a moment.  “I can't remember.  Anyway.  I dropped him and took his keys.  They chased me out but I got away.  By the time I got back to my gang's territory they were going on about one of their main stashes getting ripped off by some guy.  There were older guys running around cussing everyone, I didn't recognize them, but apparently they ran the show.”

Mai continued as Dr. Obst listened carefully.  This was the part where she started describing her real descent into the criminal world.  This was the most interesting part.  “They guy who took the stash was a thief named  Esbonozea.  I never learned his last name.  If that was even his real first name. He had been watching everything in the projects, even as the older gangsters were running around yelling about tearing his guts out.  He was confident, smart, and professional.  He just watched.  He watched me.”

“Why did he approach you?  It says in your file that you lived with him for awhile.”  Dr. Obst asked.

“I don't know.  Maybe he heard me talking about breaking out of juvie.  Maybe he had a thing for younger girls.  He never really talked much.  He just gave me a way out of there.  My own room, actual pay, and all he asked for at first was for me to watch his place when he was gone.  It wasn't until I was seventeen that he started training me.  He taught me everything. How to hot-wire speeders, splice electronic locks, how to move through crowds, even filled in a lot of the school work I had missed.  He said I was intelligent, but an idiot for dropping out of school like that.”

“You sound infatuated with him.  Did he require favors as well?”

“No,” Mai answered.  “He just wanted me to learn.  I don't know why.  He was older, late thirties at the time I think.  I think he was just looking for some company. He never associated with anyone else for very long.  Maybe he just wanted a protege, and I happened to be at the right place at the right time.”

“But you eventually left him?”  The holographic Dr. Obst was perusing a datapad.

“He just disappeared.  He just didn't come back one day.  I never heard from him again.  It wasn't unusual for him to disappear for awhile, even weeks.  It took me a couple months before I realized I was alone again.  I was twenty by then. So I set out on my own, using everything he taught me.  I did all right for awhile.  I had learned how to track spice stashes, and take them down.  I could resell to rival gangs and skip town before either thought I knew too much.  Either that or I'd do house breaking, taking whatever I could find and pawning it.  It was pretty hard work, but I stayed afloat.”

“And this went on until you tried your hand at bank robbery?”  He interjected.  “You were twenty one at the time, correct?”

“I was lucky to get out of there. The cops chased me straight out of the city.  I didn't want to go to jail.  So I went the only place I could.  The woods.  That was hard. I'd find farms and steal food, and take supplies from barns.  It took weeks before the manhunt got called off.  Eventually I found a group of college students hiking cross country.  They didn't know who I was.  They just thought I was one of those back to nature types, trying to rough it off the land.  I hiked with them for awhile, until one of them told me about some kind of small survival school nearby. I was desperate at the time.  I didn't think I'd be able to go back to the city at all, so I thought I should learn how to survive.”

Mai continued, obviously more engaged with this part of her history than he early childhood.  “I payed for every class with some of the money I stashed from before.  I did everything.  The instructor didn't know I was on the run, I just kept up the college age tree hugger thing.  His name was Mark Wagner, and he appreciated me as a student because I learned faster than everyone else.  That was just because they all went home after class.  I didn't have a choice.  If I wasn't ripping off farmers or ranches, I was using the skills he taught me.  Before long he was giving me private lessons, and teaching me the advanced stuff.  How to sneak, track, trap.  It was more fun than I realized.”

Dr. Obst wasn't as interested on her extra-curricular learning as she was, and wanted to get back to the nature of her criminal life.  Clearly her early years had been driven by a simple need to survive.  That was understandable.  But it didn't explain why she was having so much trouble now in her adult life.

“But then you went back to the city, to Elrooden, right?”  He redirected her.

“I played it safe at first, staying in dives and mingling with the homeless.  After a while I found a guy who made fake IDs.  I couldn't afford it at first, but he hooked me up with a fence or two.  I started taking client jobs.  I grabbed a few speeders, tracked a few underbosses, eventually I got the new name and got my own place again.  I was twenty three.”

“That's when the Hearn family picked you up?”  Obst asked.

“Yeah, I had a rep for getting stuff done.  They needed people.  I had to learn how the real crime world worked, but it was good money.  Great money.  I was doing better than ever.  Until Jhae wanted to take down the reserve.  He had a good plan, or so I thought.  I was too young to realize the mistake.  It was too big.  Too many people were involved.  In hindsight I shouldn't have been surprised that there was a mole.  I learned the hard way why Esbenozea always worked alone.”

“That's when you were arrested and went to prison right?”

“Right.  Two years.”  Mai answered.

“Dr. Obst will see you now.”  The receptionist smiled at Mai from behind the desk in the waiting room.

Mai was slouched in one of the uncomfortable chairs, perusing the holonet on her datapad.  Looking up, she slapped her pad shut and stood up.  With out a word she stepped through the door and shut it behind her.  The good Dr. Obst was just getting up from behind his desk.

“Mai!”  He said with a big smile under his brushy mustache.  “Good to see you.”

“Mmm.”  Mai shook his hand as usual.

“How are you today?”

“Fine.”  Mai answered in monotone as she plopped down on the couch.

“Oh come on,” Obst splayed his hands out.  “We've been through this.”

“I'm tired I worked this morning.” She said, already propping her chin up by her hand, elbow planted on the couch armrest.  “Sorry.”

“How's work?”  He rolled his chair out from behind the desk.  The room had a brownish red look to it, but the windows all had the curtains drawn so the light flooded place.  It created a humble feel, but a bright and positive tone.

“Stimulating.”  She was still speaking in monotone.  Mai's finger traced one of the nastier scars on her right cheek.  She thought of the bitch who gave it to her. She remembered that butch women in prison with the shaved head.  She shoved the tooth brush shiv right in Mai's face and raked.

“Well, you look well.”  Obst smiled.  He was wearing his usual sort of attire, business casual. His tie today was red with a brown design spiraling down it.  Mai thought Dr. Obst totally lacked all imagination.

Mai was wearing a pair of khaki slacks from her job at the department store, but changed her shirt to a black t-shirt under a white button up.  The buttons were all open and the shirt tails hung free.  The black shirt matched her jet black hair well.

“I had the nightmares again.”  She admitted.

“Oh?  What happened this time?” Dr. Obst reached over to snatch his datapad from the desk.

“It was about that awful planet again.  With all the rock and lava.”  She frowned as her memory flashed to dark places.  These nightmares had started in prison, after her nervous breakdown in an isolation cell.

“Ahh, the one in which you die again?”  He filled in for her.

“Yeah.”  Mai's gaze pierced space and time, just down and to the left and an eternity past Obst's face.  She sat back in the couch, her left hand tracing a circle around her neck.  It was always decapitation.  Always by the tall man with the green eyes.

“Was he frightening this time?  Or did you love him this time?”  It always changed.

Mai's gaze stayed as fixed on nothing as her frown gained.  “He, wasn't bad.  I don't know.  I didn't want to fight him.  But I did.  I always do.  I always lose.”

“Were you a Jedi again?”  He asked.

Mai's gaze jumped back to Obst, finally.  “Dark Jedi.  And yeah.”

“Sorry, that's what I meant.”  He held his hands up defensively.  “Do you still try to move objects?”

Mai sat silently for a long time. “Yeah.”  She buried her face in her hand.  This was uncomfortable.

“You know you're not ever going to be able to.”  He said.  “Most of us can't.”

“It's so real.”  She said.

“The dreams?”  He asked.

“Yeah.”

“They're just dreams, Mai.”  He leaned forward and touched her knee.  “No one is trying to kill you.  You don't have to stop anyone.  You don't need mystical powers, and you're not dead.”

“Don't patronize me.”  She gazed daggers at him.

“I know this has been hard for you.”  He leaned back again.  “But you've been doing great since you got out of prison.  You're getting fine reports from your boss.  Your probation officer has had nothing but good things to say.  And what about that orchestral try out?  I almost forgot.  How did that go?”

“I didn't make the cut.”  She curled one side of her mouth.  “It's been too long.  I'm no good anymore.”

“It just takes practice.  Keep at it.”

Mai sighed, leaning forward and buried her face in both hands with her elbows on her knees.  “I can't take this anymore!  I want out!”  Her voice was muffled through her hands.

“Out of what?”  Obst raised his eyebrows.

“This!”  Her head sprang back up, and her hands swept across the room.  “Everything!  I hate it!”

“Is a decent life so bad?”  He asked.

Again she sat in silence for a moment.  “I just want to go somewhere else.”

“Where?”  He asked.

“Off planet.  I don't care where. Elrood isn't big enough anymore.  I need out.”  Mai stared at her shoes.

“You know you can't.  Not for another five years.  You'll just have to stand and face life for once.  You can't just keep running away.”

“Yeah...”  Mai said.  But she already knew what her plans were.  The number was tucked away under her nightstand.  Just a short call would get her smuggled off this rock.  She had to.  Society just wasn't cutting it anymore.  It had failed her twenty years ago.

« Last Edit: 08/07/10 21:00:44 by Mai Hasagaiwa »

Offline Shery deWinter

• Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc...
  • Administrator
  • Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc...
    • Star Wars: Descension
Mai Hasagaiwa
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/10 19:25:01 »
Awesome work on that bio. Added to the index

Offline Jericho Winters

Mai Hasagaiwa
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/10 08:50:47 »
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUNS IN FEAR AT THE REINCARNATION

<.< Don't steal my spine Please, please, please, pretty please ?  

EDIT: anyways if you can't tell- I love the subtle nuances ^ good job with the dreams
« Last Edit: 08/08/10 09:24:18 by Jericho Winters »